Paveway Bombs; Awesome ROCKETS?!?!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Each one would make a great rocket...anyone ever make one?

Yes. I worked at Texas Instruments in Sherman, where the Paveway I and IIs were made. At one point I worked in the site-wide calibration lab.

images

Was located near one of the entrances to the main area of the building. The nose is pointed towards the Paveway mfg area, the tail towards the entrance to the cafeteria. You can tell the difference between a I/II, and a III. The I and IIs had a "flying birdie" nose, while the III has a fixed nose. Almost all of the mfg/assembly areas in the plant had transparent walls (solid kneewall). You could watch as the guidance sections were assembled.

But you were talking about a flying scale model...

As with many guided munitions, the control fins are on the forward end.

As with many guided munitions, the control fins are on the forward end.

With the Paveway, it was much easier than having a seeker nose, cabeling run to the aft of the bomb, and active tail fins. Everything is in one unit (the nose) this way. There are some *serious* "mousetrap" springs on the aft fins. I saw a tail section "go off" when the rear fin wasn't latched down fully. The tail almost bounced off the ceiling.

cool stuff. what's up with the blue, skinny one at the bottom of the rack? unlike the others,I didn't see that one online much, and it looks too thin to be a bomb....what is it?

it looks like it IS a model rocket, compared to the others

deandome inquired:
"cool stuff. what's up with the blue, skinny one at the bottom of the rack? unlike the others, I didn't see that one online much, and it looks too thin to be a bomb....what is it?"

The blue one is a practice bomb. Active guidance, but without a large inert body. Allows pilots to plunk targets at a lower expense.

Chas

Latest posts

Back