Parachute

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rocket trike

Reaction score
I got some metallic tissue that feels, looks and melts just like Mylar. I was checking out Mylar on different web sites and read that metallic sheets is made out of Mylar. So does anyone know if this is probally Mylar even though it does not say it.

Rocket Trike

Where did it come from? What was it's original use? If it looks like a duck, quacks like a duck and swims like a duck...

Oh, crap. I wasn't supposed to let on about the ducks. The PETA types will be up in arms.

It's just to dang heavy! :D

Ya know why Ducks have flat feet? It's from stomping out forest fires!
Know why Elephants have flat feet? From stomping out Flaming Ducks!:D

Oh all right, Dang.. some guys just don't like a little off handed D UCK humor:D

If it looks like mylar is most likely is.. Most wrapping papers"tissue" as some paper supplies call it is nothing more than Plasitic Mylar sheeting. smoe thinner than others but mylar none the less.
Really the question should have been What is mylar? as the term is way overused. If the stuff is a polyester film made of polyethelen terepthalate, it's "Mylar" sometimes called Celanar or Melinex depending on who actually manufactured the stuff.
Most of the graphic art and drafting grade films are very stable and will not become brittle over time. most of the "wrapping paper" mylars are really a metalized cellulose acetate material, its porperties are far less long term, or several other materials, commonly mis-refered to as "Mylar"
>>>>Yeasteday I couldn't spell enganeer...Dah.. Now I are one:)
Hope this helps

Originally posted by Micromister
Really the question should have been What is mylar? as the term is way overused. If the stuff is a polyester film made of polyethelen terepthalate, it's "Mylar" sometimes called Celanar or Melinex depending on who actually manufactured the stuff.
Most of the graphic art and drafting grade films are very stable and will not become brittle over time. most of the "wrapping paper" mylars are really a metalized cellulose acetate material, its porperties are far less long term, or several other materials, commonly mis-refered to as "Mylar"
>>>>Yeasteday I couldn't spell enganeer...Dah.. Now I are one:)
Hope this helps

Uhhh....gee....My head hurt a lot less when it came from a duck.

Mylar...hmmmm. I like mylar like Homer likes donuts! No, i don't eat mylar. Take a small piece about 4x4 and crumble it. Now let go. Mylar hates to be confined. If it sounds like a duck, put it on his bill...get it..bill? Duck Bill...ahhh forget it.
Engine%20Clips%20010.jpg

Back