Painting the Starship Enterprise

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NukeHavoc

Reaction score
I've been slowly working on my Starship Enterprise model.

It's now fully primed, and I'm getting ready to paint. Unlike most of the rockets I've painted in my life, this one requires some detail work. Specifically, painting parts of the warp nacelles and the deflector/navigation array. If you look at the instructions, it calls for using Pactra or Testor's spray and brush-on enamel paints in the following colors:

* Light Gray (Camouflage Grey)
* Dark Gray (Rebel Gray)
* Copper or Bronze

I'm looking for advice on:

* Paints - what do people recommend?
* Technique - any gotchas when painting the detail areas? I'm assuming masking - where possible - is a good idea. :)

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Brush painting is an acquired skill. I've done some of it with mixed results. Takes practice. There are many Youtube videos to help.

For doing very fine detail areas I really love these things: https://smile.amazon.com/Testors-Micro-Sponse-Set-TES287993/dp/B0163N19VQ/. I find you can really get the paint exactly where you aim it, sometimes not needing masking. But yeah, in general you will want to mask (I like Tamiya tape) until (or unless) you develop the skill to no longer need it.

I've used the Testor's enamels they're fine although smelly. The Tamiya acrylic is also good but *very* smelly. I've also used Vallejo acrylics and they're pretty good and mostly odorless, although I haven't found them to be as durable as the others.

The general rule with painting is that practice and experimenting is extremely helpful, and that is especially true with brush painting, if you're looking to get very smooth results with minimal brushmarks.

Watch this video on airbrushing. there's cordless portable models, $20 models,and hundreds of colors.

I hadn't considered airbrushing before (having never done it) but it seems like a good solution to the problem.

Do you use airbrushing for the entire rocket or just the detail areas?

In addition to the Enterprise, I have the Estes Guardian, whose recommended paint job requires a fair amount of masking to get right. I've got it primed, but hadn't taken the masking plunge yet. I do have Tamiya tape and used it for the first time when painting my Eggspress; it worked very, very well.

Ken

I hadn't considered airbrushing before (having never done it) but it seems like a good solution to the problem.

In addition to the Enterprise, I have the Estes Guardian, whose recommended paint job requires a fair amount of masking to get right. I've got it primed, but hadn't taken the masking plunge yet. I do have Tamiya tape and used it for the first time when painting my Eggspress; it worked very, very well.

Ken
you should watch several of that guys videos. A lot of people make a airbrush spray booth out of cardboard which there are a dozen videos on how to do that, fan on the back wall with a filter in front to catch particles. There's also a video he has showing an airbrush pop-up tent, and its big enough to put a 2ft tall rocket body in. Most will spray a 2" tall pattern which is perfect for rockets.

Nuke Havoc, I've built this rocket several times over the years and 1st; Mach 7 is correct as regards the Tamiya AS-2 IJN for the overall color of the ship. It IS the most accurate available paint out there that does not need mixing to be accurate. HOWEVER: If You paint the nose "probe" a "sky blue" it will disguise the probe as it launches into the air and You will, for the most part, NOT see the probe as the "E" goes up!

For more accuracy in the paint scheme: Get Yourself a copy of the "Starfleet Assembly Manual" by Paul M. Newitt. The latest copy has all 3 of the original manuals in one as well as more additions with regards to the correct paint schemes. I hope this will help You. Merry Christmas, Happy Hannukah, and a safe New Year

Cheers!

Ken
I combine airbrushing and rattle cans on model rocket. Airbrushing opens the options when you are looking for specific colors. I usually paint the main body tube with a rattle can base color just because the sheer amount of paint it needs, but then use the airbrush for nose cones, accent fins, and details like that. I airbrush with alot of craft acrylics paints. They are cheap and come in a variety of colors. The other advantage of airbrushing is when you are painting something like the Enterprise, where there is alot of molded details, the airbrush won't obscure those details like a rattle can could.

I remember somebody mentioning a particular Tamiya product here and I liked the concept and purchased some. A bit of noodling around (not at home to look at the product) and this is the stuff:
https://www.tamiya.com/english/products/87131_133panel_accent/index.htmIt could really make your model pop.
Pay attention to the base coat paint, these are not intended for use over enamels, it will lift the paint when you do the clean up step.

Thankfully, there are water based acrylic equivalents available.

Banza188,

I have used the Tamiya primers under laquer, acrylic, and enamel with good results.

The paint coats are another matter.

Nothing plays well with lacquer

Back