Our new rocket trailer.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Steve: now you need to go to Lowe's and get a gallon of for paint for flooring that has the textured finish to it and paint the floor, That will look really good.
Yes sir. That is exactly what I was thinking too.

It also needs better power.
It has a 5 ah, battery. With the lights on it uses almost 2 a hour. I have a solar charger, that cuts it down to about .5 amps per hour used.
I can use a heavy lead/acid deep cycle scissor lift battery, charge it at home, and run the solar charger and last for days as is, or get Lithium Iron 100ah battery, last for days, but I will need a new charger type.
I am still working out exactly what I want to electrical wise.

Also I need to move the rocket racks and flip the rockets around. Pointy nosecones at ankle heighth is not super bright.

Jon posted some shelving above in a link, and I may do something similar.

Also the lights are on a magnetic door swith, and need to be switched with a toggle.

Also the lights are on a 4 way flat, and need swapped to a 7way plug and cable so I have power in from the truck.

If I get a bigger battery (when really) I will want a inverter. I have one 110v outlet in my truck bed (factory toyota) but it only works when the engine is running.

Overall I am very happy with it.

We got our first trailer.
The last launch in Elizabethtown, my 3 year son, looked at me and said. "I have to poop, Dad!"
So we have to take down and move table, chairs, cooler, rockets, engine box, load everything up and drive to the gas station. Once inside he says "I was just joking."

He is three and I can't sell him to the circus.

So we drive back, then he poops between the trucks and we have to clean that up. My wife was not amused. Sooooo, I was able to convince her that we could use a trailer, and put a potty in it for her, and the girls, and boy. And haul or rockets, and disconnect if we need to go somewhere. We can also use it for camping, and maybe we can go to GRITS this fall near her Grandparents.

Long story short I sold my wife a trailer, and I get to pay for it.
@Wrightme43 --

Who did the paint job ?

It is wonderful !

And ... What make and model trailer is that ?

Congrats and thanks !

-- kjh

@Wrightme43 --

Who did the paint job ?

It is wonderful !

And ... What make and model trailer is that ?

Congrats and thanks !

-- kjh
The red powder coat is from https://www.coveredwagontrailers.com/powder-coat

It is a standard no extra cost color.

Beth from signsexpress ordered in long life reflective vinyl, and she designed the graphics for me.

They do all our trucks, wraps, decals, and signs.

Super awesome company!

Thank you very much!

Avery Dennison V-4000 7 year life, but white has the greatest UV resistance.

I bought a old work truck from the company, and the vinyl is 22 years old and still looks not great, but ok.

Yes sir. That is exactly what I was thinking too.

It also needs better power.
It has a 5 ah, battery. With the lights on it uses almost 2 a hour. I have a solar charger, that cuts it down to about .5 amps per hour used.
I can use a heavy lead/acid deep cycle scissor lift battery, charge it at home, and run the solar charger and last for days as is, or get Lithium Iron 100ah battery, last for days, but I will need a new charger type.
I am still working out exactly what I want to electrical wise.

Also I need to move the rocket racks and flip the rockets around. Pointy nosecones at ankle heighth is not super bright.

Jon posted some shelving above in a link, and I may do something similar.

Also the lights are on a magnetic door swith, and need to be switched with a toggle.

Also the lights are on a 4 way flat, and need swapped to a 7way plug and cable so I have power in from the truck.

If I get a bigger battery (when really) I will want a inverter. I have one 110v outlet in my truck bed (factory toyota) but it only works when the engine is running.

Overall I am very happy with it.

For painting the floor, use the epoxy floor paint from Home Depot - works well, relatively cheap and is pretty durable.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/BEHR-PR...ncrete-and-Garage-Floor-Paint-90201/308800274

I use these Rusto chips to add texture:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Rust-Oleum-1-lb-Glacier-Gray-Decorative-Color-Chips-312449/301068202

For power, I got sick of batteries in my trailer and finally went back to a Honda generator and AC power. I used this through-the-wall adapter:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TLNQ328

It is only $29 and works like a charm. Also good for connecting into 15 amp shore power at camp sites. Inside the trailer, I wired it up with outlets and AC LED shop lighting and use DC converters on things like my roof fan/vent. That Honda generator has lasted through a 2-day rocket launch without having to refill the tank - very efficient and the power draw in the trailer is pretty low.

I am in the process of getting rid of the 7x12 I have now - looks like I have a great deal pending on a brand new 8.5x16. I will post up the process on my upgrades for that trailer when I get it.

Last edited:
Back