Oracle Construction question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fred

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I am building an estes oracle. I am securing the chute to the nosecone. i used a strand of kevlar thread. Is one enough or should i use more?
Thanks
fred

I used one medium-thickness strand of kevlar. It held up fine.

Be sure to use a really good knot. Put a barrel swivel on the other end, to prevent "wind up."

I thoght I would post a story for folks about the Oracle. As much as I dislike advertising my limited intellect.

I built my Oracle stock with the "glue the shock cord to the side of the tube mount. We launched the rocket in a moderate amount of wind an what do you know? The mount failed and the nosecone/camera drifted away into the gullet of a monstrous rocket eating tree in the middle of a patch of woods.

After a quest for the club's retrieval pole, hiking, and struggling I was able to get the assembly back intact.

Since then, I took an 1/8" x 6" drill bit and drilled a hole in each of the two plastic centering rings holding the engine mount. Then I fished a long length o 500# kevlar through the holes using some light hanging wire as an improvised needle. One end of the Kevlar was knotted, trimmed, soaked with CA, and CA'd over the hole. The other end was connected to the nosecone with a knot and swivel.

Thanks guys I apreciate your input. :)
Cheers
Fred

Latest posts

Back