OR predicted time to apogee way off....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Hart

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I launched my L1 rocket on an Aerotech reloadable H130W-14
I did not have any electronics except for JLCR for the main at 300'.
I created a model in OR and it predicted a time to apogee/delay of 7 seconds.

Video shows it reaching apogee at about 14 seconds.
Good thing my delay adjustment was off.

I weighed the rocket on an accurate scale and its about 43 oz with motor
The model is quite close.
So I'm sure my rocket was not modeled way off (dimensions +/- 0.05 for example.)

I played with increasing the weight by 1-2 lbs and altitude/time to apogee only changed 10-15%
as expected.

I want to fly it next on an I impulse but am concerned about getting the delay right.

I've attached my .ork file if you are curious.

Attachments

• PathFinderL1.ork
    2.2 KB · Views: 25
Was your rocket painted and sanded? Finish work reduces the skin drag of your rocket, increasing attitude.

Fin profiles have an effect as well

I ran 6 variations of the simulation and forced/over road the weight from 20 - 60 oz where actual
weight is 36 oz.
As weight increases altitude goes down and max accel goes down....makes sense
but the time to apogee stays roughly unchanged (about 8 seconds). Perhaps that is just the way it is....
but explain why my video shows apogee at about 14 seconds.
attachment shows 6 simulation runs named according to weight.
Capture.PNG

I looked more closely at my model and I had square fin edges but in fact were rounded.
simulation bumped up altitude by over 300' and time to apogee from 8.9 to 9.7
CaptureRound.PNG

I modified delay from 14 to 8 seconds in theory. Video may be too big to load. I will try posting a link. Something doesn't add up....
Video near apogee/ejection is tough to make out....gonna get a
JL ALT3.

video not available but it showed ignition at 14 sec and apogee at 28.
thanks to all who scratched their head and got me closer in my understanding

OR's optimum delay is not reported independent of the actual motor delay being used, as long as your recovery deployment is relative to motor eject. If you set the delay to 7 seconds and that's too short, then the optimum delay will be computed relative to that deployment. Try setting the delay to 14 seconds and rerunning your various cases.

I set the motor delay to close to the optimum delay so as to get a low velocity at deployment. I will try using a 14 second delay tomorrow.
Thanks to all of you.
Jay

so I ran 2 simulations with motor having a 7 vs 14 second delay (no other changes).
Max Velocity and Max Acceleration are the same (as expected).
Time to apogee increased by 0.5 seconds (?).

so I ran 2 simulations with motor having a 7 vs 14 second delay (no other changes).
Max Velocity and Max Acceleration are the same (as expected).
Time to apogee increased by 0.5 seconds (?).
If your 7 second delay was too short, that would have terminated the ascent a bit early.

Back