opps

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ropes4u

Reaction score
Simple question really I sort of hosed up my cluster and was wondering if you think it would in bad taste to have the motor tubes and retainers sticking out of the air frame about 3/4 of an inch.

The other option is to burry them in the air frame and notch the cluster rings or fins. If I do this should I coat the airframe with some epoxy to protect it from the heat of the motors?

Thanks again, John

I don't think it would look too bad to keep them below, and I think that's a better option than burrying them above the end of the airframe. Could you cut a short length of bt, and glue a short coupler and attach a "scab" piece of bt to span the 3/4" that you are worried about? (coupler would be glued below the aft centering ring.)

just my 2 cents

I can think of more than one cluster rocket that the motor tubes are what the fins attach to - and there is an upper airframe for the recovery laundry. If the rocket would be stable with the engine tubes hanging out the back, and you don't mind how it looks, call it "unique styling." Certainly not in "bad taste," man. One thing about rocketry - it's all about personal preferences. As long as it doesn't do loops after it leaves the rod, c'est la vie!!!!!

What kind of engines are you flying? If it's Black Powder motors, no need to heat protect the airframe with epoxy. Several rocket kits come to mind where the airframe is crammed full of motor tubes (Rickter Recker, Astron Cobra, Astron Ranger....)

Looks like the motors will hang out a bit..

When done she will fly on 4ds or 4es.

Thanks for the help, John

Back