OpenRocket "Standard" Parts Dimensions?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scadaman29325

Catching up and tripping all over myself.
Reaction score
I finally got around to playing with OR, nice. It is fairly intuitive and unexpectedly simple to use, but you can get bogged down in the EXACT details. Is there a listing of "standard" parts dimensions, maybe screenshots. Yes, there are a million different standard parts, but I was hoping for some (only a few thousand, LOL) of the most common parts. And here is a stretch, an add-in for a dropdown parts selector, not unlike the motors.

I've been guessing and created a simple design (with all the components) that I felt was good enough for a first attempt. It launched to an apogee of 135m with a 52sec flight. Wow, it really is a great program.

On the otherhand, researching and figuring it all out is a big part of the fun. I guess I'm glad it's not like an NES game that you can beat in a few hours and then no fun.

Thanks

I finally got around to playing with OR, nice. It is fairly intuitive and unexpectedly simple to use, but you can get bogged down in the EXACT details. Is there a listing of "standard" parts dimensions, maybe screenshots. Yes, there are a million different standard parts, but I was hoping for some (only a few thousand, LOL) of the most common parts. And here is a stretch, an add-in for a dropdown parts selector, not unlike the motors.

I've been guessing and created a simple design (with all the components) that I felt was good enough for a first attempt. It launched to an apogee of 135m with a 52sec flight. Wow, it really is a great program.

On the otherhand, researching and figuring it all out is a big part of the fun. I guess I'm glad it's not like an NES game that you can beat in a few hours and then no fun.

Thanks
Check out K'Teshes OR tutorials here on TRF. They really have helped me.

With any part, if you click on the "Select Preset" pull down, and then "From Database", it'll give you a list of standard parts. The built in parts database is a bit out of date but it is still good and useful.
upload_2019-12-14_17-12-34.png

Also of note, the built in database has a lot of errors. The good news is that there is an individual who is working on correcting said errors, at least as best that they can. dbcook has a github page (Link) with corrected OR files that is updated with some regularity.

dbcook's page has instructions on how to install the corrected files using git for Windows. Personally, I prefer to download and install the file package manually but I'm sure the listed method will work just fine.

Edit: I just checked and dbcook's last update was Nov. 2019.

Edit #2 :p : Forgot to mention the git page also has instructions for Mac and Linux.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back