OpenRocket feature idea: cert flight packet

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nict --

Are you saying that I am not the only one with crappy OR text dialog boxes on Linux ?

If so, you made me feel better because misery loves company :)

You also saved me going down a rabbit-hole looking for the wrong issue !

Thanks ( :) :) maybe, I think :) :) )

-- kjh
Mine suck on Chrome OS does that count?

Mine suck on Chrome OS does that count?
Maybe ... I can't say thzero ...

I've never looked for myself but 'they' say that ChromeOS is Linux at heart ...

Since this is OT and it is not just me with ugly Fonts on non-Windows OS, maybe we need a new Thread so we don't pollute neil_w's Thread with Font Ugliness ? :)

-- kjh

Thanks! I look forward to playing with it when I have some time.
@bad_idea / all --

I figured out why the summary row for the selected motor did not print.

There is a trailing tag for the selected motor in the simulations block: " defaulttrue" which confused the motor config lookup for the sim-row on the selected motor.

Fixed.

Also added a -I flag ( capital-I ) where one can restrict the output to lists -and-or- ranges of motor impulse classes.

Same install instructions:

1 - save the attached get-or-sims.sh.txt into your PATH as get-or-sims.sh
2 - chmod 755 /path/to/get-or-sims.sh

The help text is also inlined as a code-block to preserve the look-n-feel of the fixed-pitch commandline output.

-- kjh

Code:
$ get-or-sims.sh -h

usage:  get-or-sims.sh [ Options ] OR.ork

get-or-sims.sh unzips an OpenRocket.ork file and gathers the XML tags necessary
to produce a Sim Summary of all Motor Configs in the OpenRocket.ork file.

Bugs:  Does not yet do multi-stage motor configs

Options are:

o)    OutNam="$OPTARG"

u)    Units="$OPTARG"

not implemented ... units are:

Distance ...:  ft
         Velocity ...:  ft/sec
         Acceleration:  G

I)    Impulse="$OPTARG"

Comma-separated lists or dash-separated ranges are allowed here.

Example:  -I "E,F,G" - prints summaries for E, F or G-Motors

Example:  -I "E-G"   - prints summaries for E, F or G-Motors

one can also combine lists and ranges in one arg:

Example:  -I "E,F-G" - same as above

A)    SortArgs="-k2,2n"
         SortBy="Altitude"

D)    SortArgs="-k11,11"
         SortBy="Motor Diameter ( x Length )"

h)    Usage 0

Attachments

• get-or-sims.sh.txt
    23.9 KB · Views: 0
Yes, please !

I would also love to be able to print the Flight Sim Summary for all selected motors:

View attachment 589306

Sorry about the ugly text ... I've never bothered to set up Java for my high-rez screen on my Linux Laptop

Delimited text would work best for me but ...

I will be buying motors on-site at the launches for the time being and the motor I really want may not be available.

Such a list would allow me to make 2nd or 3rd choices ...

And since you've asked:

One other thing that would be handy would be to add the time to apogee down in the image area like so:

Apogee: 4793 ft at 17.2 sec

But then again, maybe this is not an issue for people with properly configured Java Graphics :)

Thanks for asking neil_w !

-- kjh

This is the info I want out of OR. I screenshot this window and print it for all of my rockets, then compile them in a 3 ring binder for easy access when I am in the field. I'd appreciate the option to print this directly from OR.

cheers - mark

This is the info I want out of OR. I screenshot this window and print it for all of my rockets, then compile them in a 3 ring binder for easy access when I am in the field. I'd appreciate the option to print this directly from OR.
If you select all the sims, you can then copy the whole thing to clipboard, and then paste into Excel.

This will get better in the next release, but it’s there now, and works in most tables in the program.

Sorry I can’t demo with screenshots right now.

@SiboVG

@SiboVG --

I am unable to Copy-then-Paste in OR on my Linux Desktop.

I'll reinstall on Windows and see if I can Copy-then-Paste into Excel from OR for Windows.

Thanks

-- kjh
You copied the simulations using the keyboard shortcut, right? Not by going to the application ribbon to Edit > Copy (this doesn't work).

If you added length, mass with/without motor, cp, cg, and stability to the simulation data grid then a row would be able to answer pretty much everything an RSO is going to ask. Adding the data grid, with the additional fields included, to the simulation plot and then hitting export-as-image would be super helpful. Being able to run a sim for my launch location and then export an altitude plot with all the nitty gritty flight details and printing it would be a nice thing to take to the RSO table.

Last edited:
You copied the simulations using the keyboard shortcut, right? Not by going to the application ribbon to Edit > Copy (this doesn't work).
Yes but only gibberish was copied into LibreOffice.

Let me try on Windows later tonite and I'll report the results for the Windows-Side.

Thanks @SiboVG !

-- kjh

OK then. The Gibberish is only in Col[ A ]. The Sim Summary is actually in Cols[B..L]

Screen shot of the 1st two rows

Screenshot_20230724_164030.png

And this is the corresponding sim summary from the gawk script I attached above

Code:
# Title     | Flight Sim Data Extracted from vul-34.ork ( Version = C30724 )
# Command   | /home/konrad/prj/app/dev/blueraven/tst/get-or-sims.sh -I D -SA vul-34.ork
# Sorted by | Altitude
# RunDate   | Mon Jul 24 16:43:52 CDT 2023
#
# Config       |    MaxAlt |   VelRail |    VelMax |   GMax |      Mach |  ApogeeAt |    LandAt |   VelLand | MotSize | Delay | SimName
  D12          |       633 |      50.4 |     190.4 |  12.44 |      0.17 |       6.8 |      34.3 |      16.6 | 24x70   |   7.0 | D12-7BP - 24x70 mm Estes
  D15T         |       798 |      56.9 |     230.1 |  12.98 |      0.20 |       7.1 |      36.2 |      17.1 | 24x70   |   6.0 | D15-6T - RMS 24/40
  D22W         |       844 |      53.6 |     250.1 |  11.69 |      0.22 |       7.4 |      37.7 |      16.8 | 24x87   |   7.0 | D22-7W - SU 24x70 mm - Quest

Last edited:
Back