OpenRocket and pods?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prfesser

LIFETIME SUPPORTER
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
First: I've searched for information on OR and pods with limited success. K'Tesh did a Mars Snooper with pods a couple of years ago, using a developer's version of OR (15.03dev), and was able to include the pods. I tried loading that file with the current version, 15.03. It gives a "problem" message and doesn't show the pods nor the fins that are attached outside of the pods. Questions? Comments? Suggestions? Physical threats? 😁

Second: I tried simulating pods on a Super Vega by adding a fake "tube" about 7 inches in diameter, 0.001" thick, 0.001" long. Then added 1" dia, 5.5" long tube fins to the fake tube to give the pods. It works...sorta. The problem is that the fake tube and tube fins drop the stability from about 1.1 caliber to 0.27 caliber, which sounds a bit strange, considering that tube fins should increase stability, not decrease it. (And I can't add nose cones or tail cones to the tube fins; not needed on the Super Vega but useful on other exotic rockets.)

OpenRocket Guru and OR users everywhere, I am at your mercy!

Best -- Terry

If you want pods you need the dev version. Skill level depends on (a) what platform you’re on, and (b) how comfortably you are with Linux command line stuff. PM me if interested.

I was able to get fins on pods to work for a while (using a dev version), then a Java update wiped out that option. Neil can correct me if I'm wrong, but if you update to the latest version of Java, OR 15.03 will be broken and sims produced will not be able to be used by people who only have OR 15.03.

Old OR requires Java 8... new OR requires Java 9, 11, or 13 (mostly targeted at 11 though).... files created or edited in new OR are not completely compatible with old OR... Using the new OR at the moment requires a bit of Java juggling, although for Mac users I can provide a packaged installer that I *think* works, and keeps the two installations separate.

If you want pods you need the dev version. Skill level depends on (a) what platform you’re on, and (b) how comfortably you are with Linux command line stuff. PM me if interested.
Thanks, but unfortunately my comfort level with Linux is roughly the same as my comfort level with C++, COBOL, Python (the language or the animal, doesn't matter), etc. Nonexistent.

My last programming work was in C64 machine language about 30 years ago. Before that, C64 BASIC and Apple IIe BASIC. Before that I used an abacus made of stone knives and bearskins. :)

Guess I'll wait till the next version of OR comes out...

Best -- Terry

Back