OOP Estes Pegasus (Kit #0806)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosko_racer

Reaction score
I have been looking at this rocket for a while but just noticed that it used 13mm motors. This cries for upscale. JIMZ has the building instructions and the patterns for the fins but I do not know if the fin pattern file, which is 3.35 inches wide by 12.4 inches long, does represent the real size of the balsa sheet it came in. Hoping that anyone has one or knows the answer to this: What is the root length of the Main Wing or of the Wing Tip? I can then extrapolate the rest to an aproximation, do a rocsim file, then use the "upscale" option to say... BT55...

BTW I searched TRF 2.0 and the archive and could not find a build thread or a rkt file on this particular rocket. It is barely mentioned on this forum and on YORF. It was available for 1977 to 1978... not very popular I guess...

- R_R

Estes Pegasus 0806.jpg

Mark II may be able to help. He has changed alot of the Jim Z files from .tif to .pdf.

Why stop at BT-60? Go for BT-101! Or even LOC 4"! Bigger! Bigger!! Bigger!!!

G.D.

I had one in the way back. I liked it but for the little protruding items.

I usually don't go go for that style of rocket, but I like that one. If Mark II can provide a scale fin template, I would like a copy of it also. What's the name of the other rocket in the picture?

Last edited:
Maybe just post it here. I'd like to have data also. Perhaps a Rocksim?

I have a kit and plans from Sport Rocketry. I can send you a PDF in E-mail if you PM me your E-mail
BTW... I'm doing an up-scale using a BT-55 and N/C.

Sport Rocketry published and article in July/August 1996 of an upscale Pegasus. He did it in a 3X, 4X and a 5.5X. The article was written for the 3X using a LOC 2.14 BT 25.194" long BT. I would love to post a PDF of the article but I'm waiting premission from SR.

Daniel

Last edited:
I usually don't go go for that style of rocket, but I like that one. If Mark II can provide a scale fin template, I would like a copy of it also. What's the name of the other rocket in the picture?

The other rocket in the pic was simply named BETA. It was a 2-stage "Mini-Brute" kit. FYI, that pic is from the 1978 Estes catalog.

SCIGS30 recently posted pics of his usual fantastic builds of this model.

If anyone could dig out their Pegasus #0806, could you verify for me the following:

- The root of the main wing is 2 5/8 inches or 67 milimeters long.

- The root of the wingtip fin is 1 3/16 inches or 30 milimiters long

These are the measurements when I print the tif file for the wing patterns. It has been my experience that when I print them without verifying first the patterns do not come out right. Thanks.

- RPR

Daniel:

Thanks for your response and for the PDF files. They look great. I should be working on creating a rocsim file soon. Once it is done then I will post it here for those interested. I may build a 1:1 scale first to go with my EAC Firecat then an upscale of it.

Thanks to all that chipped in this thread.

- r_r

Looks like you have a great project going. I too always thought that was a GREAT looking rocket. I think it being so small is the only reason it was not so popular..

When you get towards the end of your build contact me. I can hook you up.

https://stickershock23.com/PEGASUS.html

I only list a 2" but I should be able to do smaller if you need it!

You can get the plans for this one at https://www.spacemodeling.org/JimZ/est0806.htm . Yes, these are still TIFF files, but they can be printed at their correct size using IrfanView. The patterns are the correct size for the original kit.

Which free software should be downloaded? Then how do you use it to get copies of the fin templates? I know next to nothing about this sort of thing.
A little help please.

Which free software should be downloaded? Then how do you use it to get copies of the fin templates? I know next to nothing about this sort of thing.
A little help please.

The software I use for printing TIFF files is called IrfanView. The program can be downloaded at https://www.irfanview.com/ . After opening the file you wish to print, make sure the "Original size (from image DPI)" option is checked under the print size section of the print dialog box. IrfanView is free for personal use, and it runs on any Windows version from Windows 95 all the to Windows 7. In the cases where I can compare the self-printed pattern to an original pattern, the sizes match. Much cheaper than trying to find an original kit.

The software I use for printing TIFF files is called IrfanView. The program can be downloaded at https://www.irfanview.com/ . After opening the file you wish to print, make sure the "Original size (from image DPI)" option is checked under the print size section of the print dialog box. IrfanView is free for personal use, and it runs on any Windows version from Windows 95 all the to Windows 7. In the cases where I can compare the self-printed pattern to an original pattern, the sizes match. Much cheaper than trying to find an original kit.

Thank you for your time and response.

Thats what I'm building now using a BT-55 and Bullpup N/C. I started this two months ago but got sidetracked. I should have finished it by now. Anyone else do this, start a build and then put it aside?

Thats what I'm building now using a BT-55 and Bullpup N/C. I started this two months ago but got sidetracked. I should have finished it by now. Anyone else do this, start a build and then put it aside?

All the time D, all the time. I most have 10 rockets at different stages of building and finishing. I can recall the Semroc Orion, my 2nd Phoenix, my Nike DD, the USS Gooniesy, an original Estes Alien Invader, and about 3 scratchbuilds...

I have the Pegasus decal files upscaled to BT-55, BT-60, and BT-80.

I just don't have them up on my site.

Semroc has the fin set for the Pegasus (and all the other parts), #0806. It could be used to get measurements for upscales. It's $4.40 if anyone is interested. Semroc has a $10.00 order min. so ya might as well get all the parts and build the clone while your at it. Shipping is free.

Back