On the subject of cleaning motors...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvSRG

Reaction score
Ok, I know this was a big no-no, but I had no choice. At the last launch I went to, I flew an H238T in a 3" bird. Well, the flight went well, but as soon as I flew that rocket I had to leave the launch becuase I had to head back to school that day. Unfortunately, this left me no time to clean my casing. I knew that wasn't the right thing to do, but like I said, I didn't have a choice because I had to get back up to school.

This was about a month ago. Yesterday, I went back home to pick up a few things and, while I was there, I planned on getting that case cleaned ASAP. Well, the aft closure and nozzle came off no problem, almost completely clean. No trouble there... but the forward closure would not budge. I tried to get it off, my friend, Jeff (a pretty big guy), tried to get it off...nothing. I've tried pliers and running it under hot water and still no luck. What should I do? It's seriously stuck.

vinegar? Hot water adn vinegar might work. Dunno. The real concern is that you can ruin the threads. Let it soak for awhile (a day or more)

couple things you can do. fill a jar with a solvent and stick the closure end of it in the jar. Let it sit for a while. The solvent will (hopefully) soak between the closure case and threads to soften the gunk. Never tried this with an RMS, but I had to do it with my bottle of pyrogen the other day.

I have also used one of those adjustable grips. Use a rag to prevent the tool from scratching the closure. Careful though, to much force and you may strip the threads.

Also try to heat the case up in hot water.
If you use grease on the liners outside in assembly, like most people suggest, it gets sticky when cold. I'd use Vingar in Hot water, a wood dowel and a small stiff non-metal brush. Let it soak for a day or two. BE VERY CAREFUL ON THOSE THREADS

I just die, when I see a person try to remove a liner with a small screw drive sliding down the side of the case, "SCRRRRRRRRATCH"!

Originally posted by n3tjm
couple things you can do. fill a jar with a solvent and stick the closure end of it in the jar. Let it sit for a while. The solvent will (hopefully) soak between the closure case and threads to soften the gunk. Never tried this with an RMS, but I had to do it with my bottle of pyrogen the other day.

I have also used one of those adjustable grips. Use a rag to prevent the tool from scratching the closure. Careful though, to much force and you may strip the threads.

What kind of solvent would you reccomend? I don't want to use anything that might damage the case or anodizing.

I always try to clean it asap with dry cloths. But many guys I know use Hopps gun cleaner no matter when they clean them. In looking for a site with Hopp's on it I tripped over this tip by the Civil War Reenactors.......I'm gonna give it a go as soon as I get to the store

"This works better then just peroxide or Hopps gun cleaner.
You can make a gallon of it for $5.00 And your hands are cleaned when you are finished.
All you will have to to do is run two or three dry patches down the barrel. It works!

1 Part Peroxide
1 Part Rubbing Alcohol
1 Part Murphy's Oil Soap"

By Cpl Dan Landers on https://www.usachoice.net/landers5/fire.html

Chuck

Back