On-board Video recording

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan Gillette

Reaction score
Hi,

Curious as to what others have had success with for on-board video recording devices? I have seen the key chain and USB looking devices advertised but not sure how they work. Please let me know what you have had good luck with as we hope to find the correct one and take some videos.

Thanks!

I have used the "key fob" cameras for years. They take pretty good video. I bought a 1080 video camera last year. It's only problem is it has a max file size of 1mb (I think) so it restarts a new recording when that happens. The only problem with that is if it happens right before launch. By the time it recycles you miss the launch. I had that happen last year at AirFest with the rocket in my avatar. Ugh.

I use a keychain camera #16 with a 3D printed shroud that I designed. It works very well and the video quality is surprisingly decent.

I have been happy with the "keychain" "808" cameras. My only complaint is the date/time is a pain to set and you can't simply turn it off.

I also used the Mobius Mini with the Additive Aerospace shroud. Very happy with the video quality (60 fps!)

This was recorded with an outward facing camera, commonly found on Amazon or hobbypartz.com. I usually pay $20 or less for the camera. I use blue tape to attach the camera at or ahead of the center of gravity. The key fob cameras are good for the downward facing angle. It depends on which angle you are interested in. But outward facing I find more enjoyable. I do have a GoPro clone that I will be flying on a high powered rocket. I 3D printed the cone to encase it.

https://bit.ly/beast_rocket

I have a Panasonic HX-A1 Action Cam that I plan to fly for the first time tomorrow. I have it mounted on a 6" diameter 10 ft tall Formula 150 using one of the mounts that comes with the camera. One nice feature is that you can view videos using an app on your phone via Bluetooth.
maxresdefault.jpg

Back