Old RMS Reloads

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Curtis

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I have 3 reload kits that are about 25 years old. I had a bunch of Estes BP motors too and those launched just fine. What are the odds the reloads are still good? I have an H97 and a G75.

I think that as long as there is no observable swelling of the propellant slugs and the slots are clear they’re good odds. I would lightly sand the slots and any visible oxidation on the grain surface and load’um up.

I recently burnt a AMW green with a 1977 manufacture date. that's not a typo, really 1977. And I was at least the third owner of them.
Picky point, they aren't slugs of propellant, they're grains.
Second picky point: these are HP style reloads. They both use bates grains, as such there is no slot. They have a round core.

Having said all of that, don't do anything but put them together and send them. Black Jack ages well. Oxidization is much more a problem with white,
and greens even when new can be problematic in getting started

@cbrarick I bow to your knowledge of grain configuration. Why is grain more correct than slug ?
nice snarky comment. I'm not certain why you'd give advice about something you're not certain of and apparently have no experience in. He had a concern and was looking for actionable advice, and if you don't have any, well....maybe not comment? Bad advice is worse then no advice. I'm glad the OP went looking for advice about something he wasn't certain of

As far as grains vs slugs, well, why don't you look up the assembly instructions for either motor and see what Aerotech calls them. Here's a link to make it easy: https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/page/instructions
if you prefer CTI here's their link http://www.pro38.com/instructions.php
or Loki if that's better https://lokiresearch.com/page/Documents
if you have access to the EX sub-forum you will find that we call them grains as well.

so that covers all currently certified manufactures as well as the EX world........
when I look up the word slug, the fourth definition of Oxford's dictionary is the closest at "an elongated, typically rounded piece of metal." Well, it's not that.

I have 3 reload kits that are about 25 years old. I had a bunch of Estes BP motors too and those launched just fine. What are the odds the reloads are still good? I have an H97 and a G75.
I've read a lot about the delays being affected and becoming longer. I have no direct experience but I did ground test an old D reload a couple of years ago. It burned just fine, the delay seemed pretty long but I didn't time it so I can't say if it was the correct delay or not.

I recently burnt a AMW green with a 1977 manufacture date. that's not a typo, really 1977. And I was at least the third owner of them.
How is that possible? I'm not super familiar with the history of the company, but I thought that AMW was known as Kosdon East up until the late 90s. And Kosdon came out with his reloadable motors in the very early 90s.

uggh can't find a picture i took of the package, it's posted either here or FB clearly gives a 1977 date code (unless they fibbed but i flew it in honor of Gloria and Robert wasn't surprised by the date code)

nice snarky comment. I'm not certain why you'd give advice about something you're not certain of and apparently have no experience in. He had a concern and was looking for actionable advice, and if you don't have any, well....maybe not comment? Bad advice is worse then no advice. I'm glad the OP went looking for advice about something he wasn't certain of

As far as grains vs slugs, well, why don't you look up the assembly instructions for either motor and see what Aerotech calls them. Here's a link to make it easy: https://www.rocketmotorparts.com/page/instructions
if you prefer CTI here's their link http://www.pro38.com/instructions.php
or Loki if that's better https://lokiresearch.com/page/Documents
if you have access to the EX sub-forum you will find that we call them grains as well.

so that covers all currently certified manufactures as well as the EX world........
when I look up the word slug, the fourth definition of Oxford's dictionary is the closest at "an elongated, typically rounded piece of metal." Well, it's not that.

Wow, who pissed in your Cheerios?

I think that as long as there is no observable swelling of the propellant [grains] and the [cores] are clear they’re good odds. I would lightly sand the [cores] and any visible oxidation on the grain surface and load’um up.

See that? Alter the terminology a little bit, and it's the exact same advice you'd get from anyone else. Exactly what "bad advice" did he give?

He asked for clarification and you accuse him of making a snarky comment... What the hell do you think you just did?!?!

Jesus F. Christ man. Is this how you treat new people at launches?

As far as grains vs slugs, well, why don't you look up the assembly instructions for either motor and see what Aerotech calls them.
Lol. Nomenclature foul!

Attachments

• IMG_8979.jpeg
    IMG_8979.jpeg
    733.1 KB · Views: 0
uggh can't find a picture i took of the package, it's posted either here or FB clearly gives a 1977 date code (unless they fibbed but i flew it in honor of Gloria and Robert wasn't surprised by the date code)

I call BS. AMW wasn't around in '77

Jim:

Just reporting the date code on the package. I'm not speaking for the accuracy of that.

Latest posts

Back