Oddroc Stability

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello! I joined this forum recently and just found the Oddroc section. I was wondering how you check the stability of anything that doesn't resemble the normal rocket shape. Thanks!

Swing test for low power to mid power (not that there aren’t high power OddRocs, but is I suspect most of them are upscales or otherwise tested on smaller versions first.)

You can also post pictures. We have some Master OpenRocket dudes here, and even more than can give you a pretty good “MindSim” of your designs.

It depends on the type of oddroc, I suppose.

Saucers are stabilized almost completely by base drag, and are mostly mind-simmed.

Rockets with motors up front (i.e. "tractor motors") seem to have their own set of rules. @Daddyisabar is the resident expert on these.

Rockets that function in some way like normal rockets but have some very weird aspect to them can sometimes be modeled in OpenRocket, other times it's pure mindsim. @BABAR has probably built more rockets with strange fin designs and recovery schemes than just about anyone.

Best advice is what BABAR suggested above. If you have an idea you're unsure of, post some pictures here.

Back