• This community needs YOUR help today!

With the ever-increasing fees of maintaining our vibrant community (servers, software, domains, email), we need help.
    We need more Supporting Members today.

Please invest back into this community to help spread our love and knowledge of multi-channel sound.

Why Join?

• Exclusive Access: Gain entry to private forums.
    • Special Perks: Enjoy enhanced account features that enrich your experience, including the ability to disable ads.
    • Free Gifts: Sign up annually and receive exclusive The Rocketry Forum decals directly to your door!

This is your chance to make a difference. Become a Supporting Member today:

Upgrade Now

Odd Shaped Fins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mccoy300

Reaction score
My wife wanted to build a rocket with a star theme. I simmed this design in Rocksim, and it shows to be stable, but there was a note that said fins with cutouts may not sim correctly. Anyone with experience know what to expect?
IMG_1462.JPG

You just won this thread.

Anyway, it looks stable from here. Those fins are not that crazy, surprised Rocksim is even complaining.

Neat looking rocket. I hope those aft points are reinforced for landing somehow. :)

That was the dad joke of the century. you just wont the internet... Fins are 1/8th ply, i should think it is sturdy enough. going to put this one up on the apogee medalist motors and see what happens.

Fins are 1/8th ply, i should think it is sturdy enough. going to put this one up on the apogee medalist motors and see what happens.

FYI - over time, I broke all pointy-ended 1/8th ply fins I ever glued to my rockets.
A few during landings, most during transportation.

YMMV,
a

P.S.: If it has a pointy end, it better be made of, or reinforced with, fiberglass.

Appreciate the input. As they break I suppose best coa would be to sand to bare wood, fiberglass then refinish?

The fins on my Starlight upscale are 1/4 balsa. To reinforce the points, I replaced the bottom 4" of leading edge with 1/4" dowel. Then I laminated 1/16" onto the trailing edges of the fins (which were left square). Those bad boys cut into the dirt like a machete, but they haven't broken.

39691635474_87dd04b672_z.jpg

Very cool design! But I'd be surprised if you didn't break a tip here and there.

I think that looks amazing... Those fins will do fine. Pointy fins are awesome... FB_IMG_1518130987236.jpg

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

The popularity of this thread is going to be meteoric.
Which direction do meteors generally travel? (Hint: not up. ;))

As for the rocket, pointy fins have been done before. As an example, the Fliskits Adfecta. So there's nothing inherently wrong with the design. Using plywood for the fins is a good idea - a wood with a single grain direction, such as balsa, would make the side points very weak. Maybe use a parachute one size up from what you'd normally use for a rocket that size and weight.

There's usually a rule about not trying to catch a rocket while it's on the way down. Definitely follow that rule with this one!

I did go with a 24 inch chute just in case. And yea I only really ever try to catch a rocket if it is headed for the drink. I think we have all had that moment. Rocket recovery via pool skimmer sucks.

Appreciate the input. As they break I suppose best coa would be to sand to bare wood, fiberglass then refinish?

The only successful path to repairing broken ply fins is fiber-glassing over them.

I did try sanding and re-epoxying the break line, but it becomes a permanent week point and breaks at the spot of the repair.
I also tried cutting the fin off completely, making a new fin slot, and epoxying another fin right next to the broken one (I inner-fillet my HP rockets, so the root of the fin wont come out). That worked better, but produced an unbalanced booster, which was also not great.

Good luck with yours!

a

The only successful path to repairing broken ply fins is fiber-glassing over them.

I did try sanding and re-epoxying the break line, but it becomes a permanent week point and breaks at the spot of the repair.
I also tried cutting the fin off completely, making a new fin slot, and epoxying another fin right next to the broken one (I inner-fillet my HP rockets, so the root of the fin wont come out). That worked better, but produced an unbalanced booster, which was also not great.

Good luck with yours!

a

Heaven help an unbalanced booster. I can definitely relate to that.

Back