Nova II versus Universal Launch?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealth6

insert witty tagline here
Reaction score
Many of you know that I generally fly alone, as I'm very far away from any clubs/events & other rocket types. That means I supply all the infrastructure - pad, launcher, etc. (plus I have to entertain myself with witty LCO banter!).

Up until recently my AT Interlock controller has served me well. However, with my recent L1 cert, I'm needing a bit more safety distance from the pad. So, it seems like I should step up to a relay system. I will likely build my own, but I am considering a commercially made option as well. All I will likely need for the foreseeable future is 100' - it will be quite some time before I fly anything requiring more distance than that. The two I've got my eye on are the Quickburst Nova II, and the Pratt Universal Launch System.

Any preferences, guidance, experience with either of these two systems would be appreciated. Any reason why I should choose one over the other? Issues/problems/quirks I should know about?

For that matter, is there another better option I should consider? As well, I know there are quite a few online sources to guide through building my own (and I've been studying a lot of them), but does anyone have THE one, clear, concise, easy guide they would recommend?

thanks in advance, s6

I don't know much about the Quickburst system. Every launch system I have used from PrattHobbies has been excellent. Easy to use and maintain, and the workmanship has been top notch. You also get really good customer support from Doug.

kj

One way is to go to your local auto parts store and buy a starter relay for an older Ford. Place a 12 volt battery, the relay, igniter wiring and controller by the pad. Attach wires from the negative battery post to the relay mounting bracket and one side of the igniter. From the positive battery post to one of the large connectors of the relay and one side of the controller. Attach the other controller wire to the small connector on the relay. Last wire from the empty large connector on the relay to the other side of the igniter.
If you want to get fancy, build a box for the battery and relay with plugs for the igniter and controller wires.

(plus I have to entertain myself with witty LCO banter!).

Awesome!

I usually fly alone too and I just made a relay launcher out of a little $7 tool box from Home Depot. It has enough room for all the workings plus space for the necessities like tape, wadding, plugs, igniters, etc. I spent about $50 on the battery and charger and about $30 on everything else for about $80 total. I re-purposed my Estes controller for it. I posted a thread on it in this forum. I used it today on a few Estes igniters and a Copperhead and it worked great.

If you're into soldering and a DIY I can fill you in on all the details.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?41387-12v-Launcher

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back