Not sure if i should modify or order new part

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketSquirrel

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered a 54mm motor retainer to go with the LOC big nuke, and i didnt realize the retainer has threading to fit the motor tube. How would you make this work? Im thinking either sand off the threads, put threads on the motor tube, or get a new part. I see problems with each. 17006636676688960007109336186490.jpg
17006636971472607233007878499918.jpg

Correct, not threads but for epoxy to hold onto.

For each size motor retainer there are several Motor Tube sizes. Getting the correct one is not easy since most do NOT list the OD of the part the should match the MMT.
Did the same thing you did, Buy a LOC kit from BuyRocketMotors and bought their retainer only to find out that it DOES NOT FIT LOC tubing.
I leaft a Bad review of their retainer but it was NO
If the retainer ID is just a little smaller then you could sand out the ID to fit the MMT, remove 0.020" of ID.
Else, return this one and buy one that fits LOC tubing.

Last edited:
Correct, not threads but for epoxy to hold onto.

For each size motor retainer there are several Motor Tube sizes. Getting the correct one is not easy since most do NOT list the OD of the part the should match the MMT.
Did the same thing you did, Buy a LOC kit from BuyRocketMotors and bought their retainer only to find out that it DOES NOT FIT LOC tubing.
If the retainer ID is just a little smaller then you could sand out the ID to fit the MMT, remove 0.020" of ID.
Else, return this one and buy one that fits LOC tubing.
glad im not the only one who did this! Yeah it could have been more clear that they wont fit the tubes from LOC kits, but i have alot of respect Robert at buyrocketmotors. im sure if i messaged him he'd make it right, but ill shave it down to fit the LOC tube. increased surface area for the epoxy makes sense.

Buy a LOC kit from BuyRocketMotors and bought their retainer only to find out that it DOES NOT FIT LOC tubing.
The description clearly indicates what the retainer fits. It is ridiculous that you made the mistake and then do a bad review.

You can either sand the motor tube end, just to the depth of the retainer or try threading the retainer on to the tube dry and then glue on. Above methods much easier than trying to cut the threads on the retainer down.

The description clearly indicates what the retainer fits. It is ridiculous that you made the mistake and then do a bad review.
That description was NOT on the item last year when those retainers where introduced.
They still do NOT list the ID.....

That description was NOT on the item last year when those retainers where introduced.
They still do NOT list the ID.....
They "snugly" fit their filament wound glass-fiber tubes which lists the OD +/- .003. They have no need to list the ID of the retainer. If I did not see the description last year, I cannot respond to your first statement. Regardless, the information is there if you bother to look.

I have been in the retail hobby business. Businesses do not need bad press from customers who screwed up. Last comment.

Back