North Coast Rocketry NCR Star Wars X-Wing

Discussion in 'Mid Power Rocketry (MPR)' started by bhperkins, Jan 24, 2016.

Help Support The Rocketry Forum by donating:

1. Jan 24, 2016 #1

bhperkins

bhperkins

bhperkins

I recently bought a NCR Star Wars X-Wing kit that appears to be complete with the exception of the build instructions. My son hopes to build this rocket as a 4-H project. Can someone provide me with the instructions for this kit?

2. Jan 25, 2016 #2

FatBoy

FatBoy

FatBoy

Random Part-time Hobbyist

3. Jan 25, 2016 #3

Dseter

Dseter

Dseter

I wish I had documented my revisions as I went through one of these quickly realizing that having to wrap the parachute around the motor mount which then rear ejects means you might get one flight before the whole thing is trashed. Kudos to Estes customer support as when I called them and reported what happened they sent me another free of charge.
    For my second attempt, I revised the motor eject to nose cone eject and put motor mount holes through the bulkhead pieces to allow for a body tube all the way through. I cut out the top part of the body to make a nose cone and added weighted shot and epoxy to balance it out. This allowed for a much bigger parachute and a number of safe flights before I sold the whole thing having enjoyed it for a number of years. Good luck whatever you decide.

4. Jan 25, 2016 #4

gpoehlein

gpoehlein

gpoehlein

I don't think that will help - the X-Wing was developed by Estes after they acquired North Coast under their license. I am doubtful that Matt Steele has those instructions.

5. Jan 25, 2016 #5

jadebox

jadebox

jadebox

Roger Smith TRF Sponsor

I'm sure I have a set of the instructions. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where they might be. Give me a few days to look a couple of places ....

-- Roger

6. Jan 25, 2016 #6

jadebox

jadebox

jadebox

Roger Smith TRF Sponsor

If you wrap the parachute (or shock cord) around the motor tube, it won't eject and won't open. If you follow the instructions and "zig-zag" the shock cord and parachute around the motor tube, it'll work fine. I got more than a dozen flights out of my second NCR X-Wing before the "battle damage" took its toll and I retired it.

I replaced the stock 'chute with a Top Flight thin-mill which packs a bit tighter. But, it's still a challenge packing it in the X-Wing - especially since the thin-mill nylon is slippery.

I'd recommend replacing the shock cord with a long length of Kevlar thread which should pack tighter and easier.

For some build tips, see: http://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?4165-NCR-X-Wing-Fighter

-- Roger

7. Jan 25, 2016 #7

bhperkins

bhperkins

bhperkins

Instructions have been provided to me directly by a rocketry forum member but keep the build advice coming!

The link above looks like it will be great help for my son.

Thanks TRF community!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016