Nomex Fabric

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There was another recent thread here.
I had been using the yellow stuff that sl98 posted, but I'm not happy with it - too much goes through. I bought a piece of this stuff:

www.ebay.com

Royal Blue Cotton Nomex Blend Upholstery Apparel Fabric Canvas 10 oz 67"W FR | eBay
"ROYAL BLUE COTTON NOMEX CANVAS" 67" WIDE COTTON NOMEX BLEND 10 OZ. SOFT CANVAS FABRIC THIS FABRIC IS APPROX. 10 OZ PER SQ YARD. THIS IS A MEDIUM / BOTTOM WEIGHT FABRIC. THIS IS A GREAT MULTI PURPOSE FABRIC! GREAT FOR BEDSPREADS, SOFA SLIP COVERS, APPAREL, LININGS, CURTAINS, HOME DECOR, SHIRTS...
www.ebay.com

And I find it to be much better: tighter weave, and doesn't pass heat/sparks/flame as easily as the 7oz yellow stuff.

I use this:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Neon-Yello...ric-62-W-Soft-Flame-Retardant-FR/272267182865
There is an older thread by @cwbullet with a number of different materials and product testing. The links to the materials might not work but you can get a good idea of the different products that are available. The link above is fabric #3 in the thread below.

https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/nomex.134790/

I have used this stuff. My wife reports it sews easily and it protects your chute.

Could you make the shock cord, shroud lines and parachute out of Nomex and skip the 'chute protector or wadding entirely?

Could you make the shock cord, shroud lines and parachute out of Nomex and skip the 'chute protector or wadding entirely?
You could use kevlar lines but the fabric would be very heavy. If you were able to find a light weight Nomex it would be so thin that charge would blow through it.

That is what I am planning on. Yes the fabric would be heavy but it would be for a small drogue.

In the case of a nylon parachute with Kevlar cords much of the cord can be external to the wrapped parachute and add to the wadding required for heat protection.

Not as expensive as I thought they might be - $55 for a 12" chute, though still a bit more than Estes...

Back