Night Launches... an FAA Waivered Group or club activity

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micromeister

Micro Craftman/ClusterNut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Before I open this thread I feel I should make it perfectly clear this activity, while a fantastic experence is ILLEGAL unless done with a full FAA waiver specifically for Night Activity. My concern is some of the younger folks or visitors to this forum may think this is such a cool idea they'll rush out and "just do it" Please folks, Lets not tick off the FAA or others.

Here's the legal skinny on Night launches:
Far 101 subpartC section 101.23 operating limitations, Prohibits the launching of unmanned rockets or balloons between the hours of Sunset and Sunraise. Sunset As defined by the FAA East Coast Regional Office is: When the sun sets below the western "visible" horizon. To most of us this is refered to as "twilight", Not even close to dark.
Our club first approached the FAA about Night flying in the spring of 1996. FAA's first question was "what exactly to you hope to accomplish with these night time operations." That set us back for awaile. I think it took another month or so to get the paperwork FAA requested in a form that didn't seem to say "Hay. we just wanta see rockets fly at night." Our theme and documentation was to " advance the state of the art in Night Illumination Tracking Equipment and demonstrate there use." the "NITE" thing was borrowed from an article in SR but I can't remember the year.
Narhams committed to looking for ways in increase the brightness and visibility of Night launched model rockets. We developed and finally had approved by FAA a set of guidelines to set up and run a Night Launch seheduled for later that year. We have these guideline on our website if you are interested www.narhams.org. FAA limited our models to G motors and reduced our normal 3500' ceiling to 2500 feet, they also required all models to have an external illumination system clearly visible a 2000 feet. We as a club looked at all the available illumination system Cylume sticks, Phospherescents, Filiment bulbs, LED's, Luminescent sheeting and Strobes, as well as different battery power sources. We made a collective determination that Cylume sticks and other "Glo- in- the- Dark" materials would be limited to use in models powered by B motors or below. Over the years this has proved to be a good decision. It became apparent quickly the Red LED's in the 500mcd range and above do a wonderful job. Many combinations and systems have been divised over the last 7 years and have become cheaper and easier to fly.. I have even LED's illuminated an old Estes UFO "Snitch to you newer folks)
Our Night range is set up with a perimeter tagged with cylumes and the Launch Racks and launchers are fitted with ruby red lens covered 20watt halogen bulbs to help with after dark igniter hook ups (one of the major problem areas) anyone with a flashlight at the range is issued a ruby red lens cover to preserve everyones Night Vision and 4 point lookouts are posted to scan the skies for ANY aircraft entering the airspace. We are to hold launches until the craft "At any Altitude" clears our airspace. also per our friends at the FAA we are in contact with the closest control tower to the field, BWT in our case.
It takes a good bit of planning and a a lot of cooperation on the part of the flyers and spectators to have a good Night Launch but it is something you will not forget. We have had a Ball with these events of the past few years, we even have glider flights. We usually combine the Night launch with a Late day (noon or later) starting sport launch and a "dinner Picnic" on the field.

Are there other clubs or Orginizations our there that have flown Night launches?

I'll post a couple Pics to get the discussion started

I gotta make this years night launch! Knowing my luck it will conflict with something, as usual.

Dick:
You just gave me an idea, I'm going to combine next months saucer build session with a Night Launch Project. I'll do the 24mm Artwhite saucer but set it up with 6 or 8 500mcd Leds and a 3V lithium, than give it full spin flaps, I'll bet it well be a solid red blurr the whole flight:D

Here's a better flight series for the very first Night Launch
Warp-II sustainer only on a C6-3

If memory serves this year we only scheduled one Night launch Sept. 13th 12pm to 10pm. I also seem to recall something about a Pirate theme??? Maybe thats for the daytime sport launch, Err flying boats, oars, hooks, cutlasses, Cannon Balls!,,Pariots and Peg legs... Humm sounds like Odd-Roc heaven:D

AWESOME!!! :D :D :D

Those pics are so cool! I wish I had the parts. How much does it cost to get some of those lights, like those you posted the drawings of? I didn't realize I was doing something illegal. Oops! Luckily it was a one time only thing. I launched the Quest Pip Squeak in a B6-4 a little after dusk. It was really cool. I was wondering if glow-in-the-dark spray paint would work. I am having my doubts about it. Has anyone tried it? Anyways, once again AWESOME pics! :D

Havoc821:
Yes, the glow in the dark stuff will work on the very low power models and Micro-Maxx motors. We have over the years notice all regular 13mm and 18mm motor go invisible at 150' unless augmented by an led or some other light source. Doug Pratt at one of our launches broke a cylume stick which actually melted one of his styrene Egg capsules and ran down the side of the model during recovery. it was visible on a B6-4 to about 150 or so feet.
The materials are not very expensive at all, All the parts are from radio shack and are listed, I think the most expensive part are the 3V lithium batteries and holders. If memory serves me with the exception of the Pratt strobe none of the 3 and 4 led systems cost more the $7 buck. Do you have a Radio Shack in your area?
Here's a pic of one of my Micro-Maxx Night models .281" body with a 10.5mm payload section. If you'd like to build it or just use the parts numbers for the Led system, the one page plan is downloadable from the Micro-Maxx yahoo group. in the files section. In the photos section you can see a sundee cap that Art Applewhite converted for Night flying with the cylume juice.

Although I have not yet launched a rocket at night, I bought a Glowrap Lamp from https://www.nightlaunch.com . A luminescent strip (available in various colors and widths) can be cut with scissors and taped to the outside of a rocket. The strip operates off of a 9V battery via an inverter. Cool!

dluders:
electro-luminescent panels are great for larger models, We have had some difficulty getting the material to stick on tubes smaller then BT-80's 2.6" dia it seems the material has a minimum bending radius? The transformer/convertor battery pack is really on the heavy side also.
3m is working on a flexable luminescent panel that is supposed to bend around a 1.5" dia. Sizes and Material thickness TBD. I was told panels up to 8 square feet will run on 6 volts DC (2 3volt lithium button cells maybe). Panel light duration and battery drain at this point are unknowns. If the "stock" wall plug transformer can be eliminated, by replacing it with a direct 3V battery operation this will drop a bunch of weight allowing this power unit to fit in a BT-50 with the panel wrapping a Bt-60. I won't know if this will work until I recieve the sample prototype. Hopefully this will be released in the next few months. Man; I never thougth working in the electric sign business would get me into so many different model rocket related Goodies:D
Nightlaunch.com's strips are very nice Stuff for the Larger heavier models. Overlaying cutom decals and graphics on the panels make for some very interestion effectsand color change effects.

Is your Group planning any Night Launch Activities in the near future?
In talks with the East Coast Regional FAA office in New York, I know several other clubs (at least here in the east) have applied for Night Launch waivers. I would really like to here from some of these other groups, on the when and where.

He opened a blue glo-stick and poured it into the saucer IIRC.

Heres a composite pic of Estes X-Ray 13mm model most folks fly with a 3" cylume on an A3 or A10 motor.
I found a white BT-20 nose cone and convered it into an Led base with a 12000mcd orange 10mm led and 3 strings of 3 5.3mcd 2mm leds hanging in the clear payload bay with a 3/8" 3 volt lithium battery in a custom holder. She flys very will on an A10-3T motor still using the streamer recovery.

several manufacturers produce BT-50 (.976") "Blow mold" formed thin styrene plastic nose cones, most in white, some in yellow, red and blue. Most if not all of these can be illuminated by a single 5000mcd or better LED and a 3volt lithium button cell battery. these cones can either be attached directly to the shock cord of the model or used with a clear plastic payload section. below i'm attaching a 3pic series for an external set-up with a 12mm standard lithium battery extending into the payload section and the second post will be an internal set-up that is held in place with a small piece of velcor in the bottom of the shoulder. the nose is taped to the shoulder after the led unit is activeate and inserted in the shoulder. I was amazed at the brilliance of these single "super bright" leds, powered by 3 volts and using a 68ohm resistor.
pretty neat expecially yellow nose off and Red on :D

Well heres what that yellow BT-50 Pratt hobbies nosecone and clear payload tube turned into.
this model is a BT-55 tube, styreme fins and a balsa 50/55 transition, set up for 24mm D12 motors. I should get about 850' with the Leds, TireFlys and 3v lithium battery pack payload.

Another interesting note. There is no paint, or primer on this model at all. The Main body is covered with Red metallic flake adhesive backed vinyl trimed with another type of holographic squared vinyl called ArtFoil. the plain old .063" white sytreme fins are also covered with both vinyls.

Unfortunately, I didn't get to launch this model at our latest night launch.. I flat ran outta gas by it came time to fly this one. As well as the upper winds were pushing everything in the direction of the Pond:(
I'll fly it a least in day mode sometime soon.

OK guy's:
I've had several messages about needing info on LED set-ups for Night vehicles. So I thought I'd dig this old thread out as it has a ton of good info.
The New FAA modification allowing Mod-Roc's to night fly under our exempted status, make is even easier for us to fly Night flight in vehicles UP TO pound. without all the hastile involved with the earlier waviered launches... Which are still requied to LMR's and anything over 3.3lbs of course.

One LONG night had an ejection charge malfunction on it's original shake down flight.. but has been reborn with a completely new LED lighing system and added fintip cylume pods that really didn't add as much as I hope it would. still a great flying Nite vehicle.

Another added in the last couple years is the Bat&Ball Scream.
needs some more lighting before next years night launchs, I'm working on fin Edge lighting techniques so maybe by spring this models Transluscent blue Bat wng fins will light up betterLD

Originally posted by Micromeister
I've had several messages about needing info on LED set-ups for Night vehicles.
I had to go and stir the pot, didn't I... Thanks, John!

Originally posted by Micromeister
OK guy's:
I've had several messages about needing info on LED set-ups for Night vehicles. So I thought I'd dig this old thread out as it has a ton of good info.
The New FAA modification allowing Mod-Roc's to night fly under our exempted status, make is even easier for us to fly Night flight in vehicles UP TO pound. without all the hastile involved with the earlier waviered launches... Which are still requied to LMR's and anything over 3.3lbs of course.

The new FAA regs did change, however all rockets under the
3.3lb limit still require notification. They do not need a waiver
now just notification. This does cover all rockets under 3.3lbs.
Rockets that are under the 1lb size still need to be flown under
FAA notification rules and are not exempt but no longer require
a waiver.

Now that said, wow I like your rockets. Especially the saucer.
I have quite a few night rockets right now and am planning a
large night flying saucer.

William

NO problem at all Dave: Glad to help. Couple others have also ask for more info. so repoeing this thread might bring in some of the other LED guys. Strobe and electroluminescent panels are fun but generally require at least 9volt batteries and much bigger payload sections when we in the LPR realm usually like to work with. micro and clear sections up to about BT-60 size can very easily be extremely well illuminated with just a few LEDs. speaking of only a few, OneLONGNights new unit contains only 6 multi color leds but was very easy to follow in the air, under power and Chute:D I think using a 3/8" OD clear tube inside the main BT-50 payload tube containing the LED's and sanded to frost the surface and defuse the light really enhanced the effect.

Along the same lines I'm experimenting with a frosted vinyl material by 3m named " Etched glass" to find out if covering the exterior or interior surface of a standard polyethylene tube payload section will disperse the light from standard LED's. So far the exterior application on BT-80 clear tubes is doing a bang up job:D

Looking at a single LED or several on a single 10mm ot 20mm Coin cell or smaller. a custom battery holder is usually the biggest problem.
Heres how I solved on for a Micro Assateague Light house lighting model.
Hope this helps a little with the construction question:)

Back