Night launch rockets

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Schwantz

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
We have a night launch coming up. I have a few ideas, but would like to see what you have come up with that has worked. If you can give details about how it is powered, type of lights, how they are attached and so on. Thanks.

I've done a lot of night launches. My favorite effect is to put a dozen glow sticks in a 3" rocket, each with their own small estes chutes, and motor it for about 1000 feet. Load the glow sticks between your chute and the nose cone, so they come out first.
I've also made clear rockets out of cheap plastic shipping tubes and then filled them with lots of little lights. We've also attached the long skinny glow sticks (like for a necklace) lengthwise on the outside of the airframe, just using duct tape. There are dozens of small battery powered stick on lights you can get from Amazon. Just make sure you use some CA glue or epoxy, otherwise they'll rip off.
There are no bonus points for altitude at a night launch, so keep it low, so you don't lose it.

Thanks, I like the glow stick chute idea. Do they spread out very far? We fly off a sod farm and do not want to leave any FOD. I did buy some LED strips. They came last night. Also bought clear air frame from Apogee, be here today.

I've tried several things with night launches. Glow sticks taped around the rocket work well. I tried a 1" dia, 3-4" long LED flashlights zip tied in the base of the a bright yellow chute's shroud lines so it lit up the chute. That actually worked quite well. I saw the rocket land about 2500 ft away and it was easy to see on the ground too. Lights in the white plastic nose cones worked well too. Glow sticks every foot or so along the shock cord works too.

Back