New Year's Day Launch

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stizzealth

Reaction score
Today, FINALLY, I got out to launch for the first time since September. I only launched 2 rockets, but boy, was it worth it.

First up was the Executioner. I had only brought one D12-3 engine with me, and the nozzle got wet. I didn't have any Es. It really took some coaxing anda few igniters to light, but hen it did light, it was MAJESTIC. It climbed slowly and I can't quite tell waht the altitude was. The parachute opened, despite the near-freezing temperatures, and it didn't drift too much. I caught it on the way down. A fin was loose before launch, so I tacked it with CA. I'll repair it fully now.

The other, and last launch, was my newly build Estes Thunderstar with 2 B6-4s. I used my normal 9V Estes launch controller. The first 2 times, I got no ignition, but then I replaced the batteries with some Duracell Ultras and they lit right up with very little delay. I think they ignited at different times due to the flight path and marks on the blast deflector. The flight wasn't quite straight, but it was pretty close, and the tree-eating rockets didn't leave their grounds to get it. I got it back.

A little crowd was gathered for both flights of both adults and children, and I feel that I gave everyone there a good, solid launch.

No pictures. *hides*

Originally posted by Stizzealth
*snip*

The flight wasn't quite straight, but it was pretty close, and the tree-eating rockets didn't leave their grounds to get it. I got it back.

*snip*

I need one of those "tree-eating rockets." Would that be like a wood-chipper odd-roc? Or maybe a K-impulse powerd chainsaw?

:p

Originally posted by Fore Check
I need one of those "tree-eating rockets." Would that be like a wood-chipper odd-roc? Or maybe a K-impulse powerd chainsaw?

:p

Sometimes, when my hands are really cold, my brain doesn't function too well. :(

I hear fred yells from 56 degrees north.
Cheers
Fred

On a dreary, foggy, 35 degree, drizzling January 1st in Wisconsin, my son & I went to the local park with fellow WOOSHer Brian to kick off the new year. 8 yr old son recovered all rockets.

1 - A vintage scratch model from the 70s, first launch ever. Went up great, chute snagged on estes style anchor, so crashed down. Light rocket, so only one fin broke.

2 - Cherokee-D Clone on a C11-5, virgin flight - Beautiful flight, streamer recovery, just before apogee.

3 - Eagle Boost Glider on B6-2 - Even the slight breeze we had caused the glider to lawn dart. No damage that some CA won't fix.

4 - Son's new Estes HeatSeeker E2X - Chute tangled on way down, but this is one tough bird, no damage.

5 - Big Bertha on a C6-3 - Weather cocked heavily into the wind, fortunately, since recovery was 50 yards down wind.

All in all, a nice way to bring in the new year.

-Paul

Back