New scratchbuilt rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATO

Reaction score
Here are some pics of my latest rocket. Its designed to fly on all the 29/40 - 120 motors, although it could probably take a 29/180. All Giant Leap parts (Great service and quality, highly reccomended). 2.6 inch upper section, 1.5 inch lower, with 29mm motor mount and slimline retention. Build is basically finished, just need another set of fillets and launch lugs, then paint.

First pic is of the whole rocket

second, close up of Freedom Forge Missile inspired transition

Finally, the fin assembly (tube fins are 1.1 inch, fins are 3/32 plywood)

Originally posted by jj94
What color(s) are you gonna paint it?

Not sure yet, but I'm thinking some combination of orange and white.

Originally posted by TeenRocketNerd
that's a cool design man. :)

Thanks, I tried to do a "fliskit style" design in mid power

Originally posted by jflis
Oh, that thing is sweet! Can't wait to see it in Amesbury! :)

jim

It'll be there next launch. Definatly will fly on an E16 and F40, and maybe a G64 if I have time.

I've started painting, Primer and base coat are done.

I'm looking forward to seeing that one in Amesbury too!! (I probably won't get there until after noon, though).

The paint is finished; I decided to go with a different color scheme though.

Nice paint scheme there. I think it will look good with some fluorescent accents. I don't know where or how you would apply them, but I think It'd look pretty nice.

great job on the paint

The exposed "struts" in the transition area are an intresting feature as well. You don't see that everyday. 3FNC it is not!

Looks Nice buddy, I'm just starting to get into small Estes stuff, And I'm looking forward to doing stuff like this.

Excellent paint scheme!

That thing needs a G77R! (A G75J would be pretty sa-weet too!)

It finally flew today at NEMROC after my club's september launch got rained out. I didn't get any good pictures though. :( First flight was on an F40. It wen't straight up to about 550-600 feet, and had a very late ejection, but it held together. I think this was a combination of too long a delay time to begin with and also some Aerotech "bonus delay."

Second flight was on a G64. It tilted about 25 degrees coming off the pad (I think it was due to the launch lugs being positioned halfway up the rocket, not giving it enough guidance,) but it ejected right at apogee and stayed within the field. No damage on either flight.

If anyone got any pictures of the flights please post them here.

That thing needs a G77R! (A G75J would be pretty sa-weet too!)

I think I'll have a 29/120 motor by next launch, and will definatly try the G77.

Back