New project - scale model of WWII ordinance

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rharkins

Reaction score
Now that the L1 and L2 certs are out of the way, it's time to build another rocket. The T37 Demolition Rocket was developed during WWII, and first saw action during the invasion of Normandy. They were fired from multiple tube launchers installed on landing craft and tanks. The Navy also used a version (called Mousetrap) as a depth charge.

It was a 188mm bomb casing with a 2.25 solid rocket motor threaded into the fuze socket. It was effective against fortified bunkers. Total weight was 65 pounds, and it carried 35 pounds of TNT or Torpex. Range was 300 yards.

My version will be just a bit larger than full scale, at around 36" tall. Rocket tube is 2.1" PML phenolic, and the warhead and ringtail are 7.5" PML phenolic. Ringtail pylons are 3/16" plywood. It will have a 38mm motor mount.

I'm using expanded polystyrene foam for the transition, and will cover it with 2-3 layers of fiberglass. I think I'll cover the ringtail with fiberglass also, since it will take some abuse on landing. Nose 'cone' will be a piece of plywood. Not the most aerodynamic shape.

Here are the pics:
https://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/rharkins/album?.dir=/867ere2&.src=ph&.tok=phyIHjFBDZRSAFiF

You could always use an empty magnum of Bollinger with an old trees tump rammed into the neck....

...that must win the prize for "least aero shaped device ever".

Back