New old gliders

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sooner Boomer

Reaction score
I finally got around to (mostly) finishing a couple of gliders that have been sitting around for a long time. I just found them in the back of the closet, and decided they should fly. The first is a glider I started a *long* time ago. The wing and tail are made from corrugated cardboard. *Somewhere* around here is a Flat Cat made from the lid of a pizza box. The second glider is a ring fin. The booster is salvaged from an Estes glider. Don't remember the name. It had wings that folder across the top of the glider. The plastic bits were red. It never flew right.

This is a glider that's either one of George Gassoway's designs, or at least heavily influenced by it.

glider1a.jpg
glider1b.jpg

Nose closeup
glider1c.jpg

The "Ring-Tailed Tooter". The front ring is BT80, salvaged from a rocket given to me. The aft ring is thin-walled phenolic from a dropsonde. Spar is 1/4" x 3/8" basswood.

glider2a.jpg

Nose attachment point
glider2b.jpg

Found another glider, an MPC Flat Cat. I flew it twice last Saturday (5/20) at out memorial launch. One of the local members that made his final lift-off was a glider enthusiast. I flew it twice on B6-4 motors. The first time, the glider didn't separate from the booster. The second time, it nose dived straight in. The glider is trimmed for a nice glide. I guess it just doesn't have the ability to get righted from a dive. The college kids at the launch were fascinated by the glider. I think I'm going to have to fly more!

Interesting. I've always use incidence angle or decalage to mean the same thing, as every glider I ever built, the wing was 0-0 to the fuesalage, while the stab was usually at an angle of attack to the wing,usually -1 degrees.

While this will balance the boost pitch forces to get a more or less straight flight(actually a flattened "S" curve) it creates more drag force.

On swing-flop FAi S4 gliders, that I built later, the wing is approximately +4 degrees while the stab is 0-0

The problem with 0-0 boost rocket gliders is you need some incidence or decalage to help pull the glider out into a good transition to glide.

This was found out by the Estes Falcon BG, aka the Renger Sky Slash.
The original Sky Slash(Not the one that Estes offered as a free plan) had a string that held the stab flap down during boost, such that it was 0-0 , at Apogee, the engine would eject, allowing the stab flap to pop up.

Estes considered this simple pop-stab, too difficult for the kids of the day to build and trim, so the stab became a single piece. The result was Falcons making a bee line to the ground.

attached is a screen grab of an illustration from an article by Geoff Landis, who taught me a great deal about boost glider stability, especially during the boost phase.

Attachments

• Incidence-Decalage.jpg
    Incidence-Decalage.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Interesting. I've always use incidence angle or decalage to mean the same thing, as every glider I ever built, the wing was 0-0 to the fuesalage, while the stab was usually at an angle of attack to the wing,usually -1 degrees.

While this will balance the boost pitch forces to get a more or less straight flight(actually a flattened "S" curve) it creates more drag force.
In addition, I generally incorporate 1 - 2 degrees of "downthrust" on the Pop Pod . . .

Dave F.

Back