New Milestone for me

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look like a nice launch.

Where do you launch from? I live in Horsham, about an hour from Allentown, and your field looks huge compared to what I have locally. Looks like nice place for personal launches.

Where do you launch from? I live in Horsham,

I have a brother in Horsham, about a mile from the old Air base. I'll send you a P.M.

Old air base? Is that the one in Johnsville? I went there to check it out yesterday...unfortunately, me and my mom went to the wrong place; we went to the the place just west of it.:rolleyes: I also heard that the air base in Willow Grove (I live about 3-4 minutes away from the base) is going to close down in 2011 but it will stay an army base. Sigh...I loved watching the A10's fly around; it's not something that everyone has a chance to see, especially on a regular basis.

Old air base? Is that the one in Johnsville? I went there to check it out yesterday...unfortunately, me and my mom went to the wrong place; we went to the the place just west of it.:rolleyes: I also heard that the air base in Willow Grove (I live about 3-4 minutes away from the base) is going to close down in 2011 but it will stay an army base. Sigh...I loved watching the A10's fly around; it's not something that everyone has a chance to see, especially on a regular basis.

A-10's ROCK!

I live just west of Houston and we used to see a LOT of Air Force and reserve planes come over the farm here... One day I was out working in the field on the tractor, disking up preparing for planting cotton, so the tractor was working pretty hard and therefore the engine and transmission whine was pretty loud. We have always run open deck tractors without cabs, and I could tell almost exactly how well things were working just from the sound of the engine and the gear whine of the transmission. So, I'm toodling along and all of a sudden the transmission whine starts getting louder, and LOUDER and LLLLLOOOOOUUUUUDDDDEEEERRRRR and just when I think somethings gone DREADFULLY wrong and the whole thing is about to explode I see something out of the corner of my eye... it's 2 A-10's practice dogfighting over the farm! One is closing on the other's tail, and he suddenly chops power and did a sideslip half loop as the one on his tail overshot and then he immediately pulled up and rammed her to full throttle and would have blown the other plane out of the sky had they been really fighting... it was just amazing how that plane just seemed to hover and drop when he chopped the throttle and sideslipped under and behind him, and how quickly he just burst forward after his prey... just like a hawk on a summer thermal... Those big turbofans create just the right whine to blend in with the transmission whine of my tractor, but at full throttle those fans sound like a big vaccuum cleaner...

Of course that's not the only run in with a jet I've had... Once I was about fifteen feet up in the air, on top of the basket roof of a cotton picker spray painting it. So, I'm out on the tapered part of the roof, at about a 45 degree angle, hanging on with one hand and spray paint gun in the other, painting away, when suddenly this earsplitting ROAR about blows me off the roof of the machine... An F-4 Phantom going high subsonic flew over on the deck, and when I looked up he looked close enough to touch. I've seen them before in the field, coming over absolutely silent until they're almost right on top of you, then you get the roar the whole way out til he's over the horizon. We had our share of T-34's and stuff but nothing compared to those A-10's and F-4's... OL JR :)

A-10's ROCK!

I live just west of Houston and we used to see a LOT of Air Force and reserve planes come over the farm here... One day I was out working in the field on the tractor, disking up preparing for planting cotton, so the tractor was working pretty hard and therefore the engine and transmission whine was pretty loud. We have always run open deck tractors without cabs, and I could tell almost exactly how well things were working just from the sound of the engine and the gear whine of the transmission. So, I'm toodling along and all of a sudden the transmission whine starts getting louder, and LOUDER and LLLLLOOOOOUUUUUDDDDEEEERRRRR and just when I think somethings gone DREADFULLY wrong and the whole thing is about to explode I see something out of the corner of my eye... it's 2 A-10's practice dogfighting over the farm! One is closing on the other's tail, and he suddenly chops power and did a sideslip half loop as the one on his tail overshot and then he immediately pulled up and rammed her to full throttle and would have blown the other plane out of the sky had they been really fighting... it was just amazing how that plane just seemed to hover and drop when he chopped the throttle and sideslipped under and behind him, and how quickly he just burst forward after his prey... just like a hawk on a summer thermal... Those big turbofans create just the right whine to blend in with the transmission whine of my tractor, but at full throttle those fans sound like a big vaccuum cleaner...

Of course that's not the only run in with a jet I've had... Once I was about fifteen feet up in the air, on top of the basket roof of a cotton picker spray painting it. So, I'm out on the tapered part of the roof, at about a 45 degree angle, hanging on with one hand and spray paint gun in the other, painting away, when suddenly this earsplitting ROAR about blows me off the roof of the machine... An F-4 Phantom going high subsonic flew over on the deck, and when I looked up he looked close enough to touch. I've seen them before in the field, coming over absolutely silent until they're almost right on top of you, then you get the roar the whole way out til he's over the horizon. We had our share of T-34's and stuff but nothing compared to those A-10's and F-4's... OL JR :)

Around here, I don't see the A10's do any dogfighting type of things. They just fly around routinely in an orderly fashion. This all reminds me of the time a B2 flew over my house from the airshow at Willow Grove. It was a few years back, and I was watching t.v. until I heard an odd sound. I look outside and see a B2 flying over at a slow speed, just a few hundred feet up. My friend and his mom also saw it. He said that they were outside, working, until his mom started running around the other side of the house yelling out of sheer terror, "UFO!"

Back