New Member from NJ

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome. I'm in CENJARS (Club Secretary actually) and please feel free to attend. Most of the other clubs in NJ are hit and miss. BARC tries and has a good field, but they often are restricted from flying (thank you Mr. President). But if you are flying smaller sport rockets, CENJARS would be perfect. (check out CENJARS.org) We have a smaller field (limit of about 800ft and G-80 motors), but the members are welcoming and always willing to share knowledge if you have any questions.

MDRA is also a great field to fly at, but much further away. I've also heard good thing about METRA, but again, a few hours away.

Welcome to the forum! I fly with GSSS although admittedly last couple years life has gotten in the way and I've not been able to get to a launch recently. I've been launching there since 2003 and it's a great field for low and mid power. They hold a monthly launch and sometimes very few people show up, other times they'll be a big crowd. I'd encourage you to check it out!

Where in central NJ? I grew up on Kendall Park.

The 2 big ones in the area are METRA and MDRA. MDRA is having their launch this month this Saturday and Sunday at Higgs Farm. Info here....
https://mdrocketry.org/calendar/mdra-esl-298-location-tbd/I believe at least one 200lb rocket will be going up this Saturday.
To call METRA "in the area" is a bit of a stretch. It's not really far, up 287 most of the way. You could make a day trip of it, but kind of a long one.

To call MDRA "in the area" is a really big stretch. If you want to make a day trip of that, prepare to drink a lot coffee on the way home.

Huh? What gives you that idea? (Neil is from northern New Jersey, west of the NYC outskirts.)
See New York! I am sure that people from New Jersey hate being called New Yorks but I bet your state’s population mostly work in NY. And I got the idea from looking I didn’t count but I only know of 5 people not in those spots of course there are more but I’ll bet I’m right.

Guys, fuhgeddaboutit! 😆
the sopranos hbo GIF

See New York! I am sure that people from New Jersey hate being called New Yorks but I bet your state’s population mostly work in NY. And I got the idea from looking I didn’t count but I only know of 5 people not in those spots of course there are more but I’ll bet I’m right.
BTW I live in NY, but worked in NJ for decades. 🙃

@G-Force Aerospace I'm also a METRA member, so feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions.

Where in central NJ? I grew up on Kendall Park.

To call METRA "in the area" is a bit of a stretch. It's not really far, up 287 most of the way. You could make a day trip of it, but kind of a long one.

To call MDRA "in the area" is a really big stretch. If you want to make a day trip of that, prepare to drink a lot coffee on the way home.
I live in NJ and while MDRA is my main club, I have also been a regular at METRA back in the day. Maybe you need to expand your horizons, or at the very least, your "area". :)

From the central NJ location that I grew up, METRA's launch site is 1 hour, 43 minutes (according to Google). To Higgs Farm it's 2 hous 20. OK, not as bad as I thought. METRA is still a better bet. And METRA launches near where you can get some fantastic produce. (What this article politely calles the Black Dirt Region is better known as "The mucklands". In addition to the crops named, I've had amazing bell peppers, and there are great apples to be had from the firmer soil nearby. Mucklands onions are so well known that there is this piece about them from the BBC.)

Welcome back to rocketry and to TRF..

You can find out just about anything you need to know here..

Be safe,,

Teddy

METRA is a bit of a hike, but flys both saturday and sunday so it's not so bad.
The best thing is that we fly off of sod. People have actually recovered their rockets bare-foot.

METRA for the win! Great place to fly and great bunch of people. You get to listen to Rick on the mic, Teddy has a bunch of stuff you will buy that you didn't even know you needed and you can watch Fred do crazy 4 and 5 stage rockets and still keep them under 4000 feet. And there is great food and lemonade!

Back