New doughnut taste. What's up with that??!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpaceAXEplorer

Reaction score
OK...

So it's Wednesday, and I'm out for a once a month binge foodie fest! Where and how I started is immaterial, where I ended my night is....Dunkin Donuts.

So... What is up with that no trans-fat slop they still call a doughnut...(donut)!!?? :confused2:

I ordered 6 Crullers, 3 glazed chocolate, and 3 chocolate covered chocolate (choco-choco) doughnuts. By the time I got home I had eaten 3 Crullers, 1 glazed chocolate, and 1 choco-choco.
Talk about a wimpy texture? They sort of, slid off my tongue and on downward, leaving this semi pasty feeling in my mouth... BLECHH! :mad:

They used to have a semi crisp texture, that gave way to light, yet firm cake-like consistency, and lively sweet confectionary flavor that sang to the delight of my taste buds!
Now, is it me, or does anyone else think the doughnuts were better with the trans-fat nasties included?
Tomorrow is going to be a busy day- and workout after eating 6 of the things, but not as bad without the old recipe!
BOO-HOO!!!

I want my real doughnuts back!!!!! :hot: :gavel:

DOUGH-NUTS- TRANS FAT...DOUGH-NUTS-TRANS FAT!!!!

Anyone else concur?

Ok- luv-ya night-night! :D

Last edited:
OK...

So it's Wednesday, and I'm out for a once a month binge foodie fest! Where and how I started is immaterial, where I ended my night is....Dunkin Donuts.

So... What is up with that no trans-fat slop they still call a doughnut...(donut)!!?? :confused2:

I ordered 6 Crullers, 3 glazed chocolate, and 3 chocolate covered chocolate (choco-choco) doughnuts. By the time I got home I had eaten 3 Crullers, 1 glazed chocolate, and 1 choco-choco.
Talk about a wimpy texture? They sort of, slid off my tongue and on downward, leaving this semi pasty feeling in my mouth... BLECHH! :mad:

Well, that explains the slimy aftermath of the last Dunkin Donuts we bought. I figured it was just a bad batch so we pitched them and haven't been back.

Now I know to chalk it up to...um...better fat. :rolleyes:

If you were looking for good donuts, you lowered your chances dramatically by going to Dunkin'. They haven't cared about their namesake product for a good long time now.

First, let me know if you actually got cruellers at a DD; back in the 90s, there was an article in the Boston Globe explaining how they were abandoning the twisted cruller in favor of a straight, extruded stick. It was too labor intensive to handle the dough; rolling out the "rope" and manually twisting the tasty shape. They had already started to focus more on their coffee products and the donuts have suffered ever since. :2: Some years back, they even got rid of the plain cake ring with a little handle on it that was called the Dunkin' Donut. :confused:

Around here, you can't drive three blocks without passing a DD and sometimes two across the street from each other on a busy highway (no left turn required). You have to go some to find a different shop but it is usually well worth it. If you have another local/regional chain, give them a chance. Or better still, a real bakery. Your efforts will be rewarded.

I hope you have a better experience next month.

Doghnut problems? We lost our local Krispy Kreme about a year ago. No DD around.

Now if we want them the most accessible place is Wal-mart's bakery.

Or better still, a real bakery. Your efforts will be rewarded.

Buy the coffee at Dunk's and the donuts here. They ship and they have coffee rolls the size of a pizza.
coffeeroll.jpg

There's a place calle Country Time Donuts here and they make them the way they used to be. I love apple fritters and theirs are easily twice the size of KK's ones. We got our Krispy Kreme years after everyone else and I never found anything special about them.

Many years ago I had a friend that baked for Winchell's. Best crullers are fresh out of the maple topping right out of the frier. Reminded me of French toast:)

Then, suddenly, without warning, Winchell's was no more and a great wail went forth in the land, "...but, but, Dunkin' Donuts are TERRIBLE!!"

There's a place calle Country Time Donuts here and they make them the way they used to be. I love apple fritters and theirs are easily twice the size of KK's ones. We got our Krispy Kreme years after everyone else and I never found anything special about them.

Many years ago I had a friend that baked for Winchell's. Best crullers are fresh out of the maple topping right out of the frier. Reminded me of French toast:)

Then, suddenly, without warning, Winchell's was no more and a great wail went forth in the land, "...but, but, Dunkin' Donuts are TERRIBLE!!"

Winchell's was the worst donut place i So Cal, but they were everywhere, so the locals were used to them.

Dunkin was here with around a half dozen locations scattered around the region with 10 or 20 million people.

I grew up in Dunkin' Donuts and Mister Donut country.

I regarded Dunkin as the best. The twisted glazed chocolate cruellers (affectionately referred to as "Dog poop") were the ultimate.

In the Orange County and Los Angeles area the Camobians worked very long and hard at all of the existing donut stores and chains. They eventually took over and one chain taken over and expanded by the Cambodians called Christy's was responsible for destroyng Winchell's.

The Dunkin location became dis-enfranchised and they spent 5 cents to replace as few as possible letters of the signs to de-brand themselves. In other words, some became "Boston Donuts". Anyway, they did not have the original Dunkin ingredients and they were not what i liked, so I never went back.

The reason Christy's succeeded: larger donuts. not better quality, simply larger. People could see that the Winchells donuts were tiny and a dozen fit into a shoe box. Christy's had MUCH larger boxes to hold their dozen donuts.

Krispy Kreme came and got big and then closed some locations but never disappeared. They got hit with the Atkins diet/anti-carb fad a few years ago just after they had expanded to a crazy number of locations.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Ngoy

https://articles.latimes.com/2005/jan/19/local/me-donutking19

Last edited:
If you want good donuts from a big chain, Krispy Kreme can't be beat. DD's have sucked for a LONG time... We HAD a KK in Houston out on the west side but it closed after a couple years for some reason (some rubbish about territories or some crap) and were supposed to re-open after a year or two but haven't to my knowledge. One thing I ALWAYS like to get when I'm back in Nashville is KK donuts-- there's probably a dozen stores around the Nashville area...

Locally we have some pretty good German bakeries, but they're all independent. We have a new "regional" chain or mini-chain called "Daylight Donuts" that's pretty darn good. Every store is run by Asians, and lemme tell you, they can cook some darn good donuts (not as good as KK, but better than most of the commercial chain offerings). They make some FANTASTIC croissants with bacon, sausage, or ham, and egg and cheese. I like the pigs in blankets as well made with REAL jalapeno sausage (no cocktail weenies) in a croissant with jalapeno cheese and a jalapeno pepper ring baked into the top of it. YUMMY!!!

I hear ya on the "real fat" argument. I hate that fake fat stuff too... when stuff sticks to the roof of my mouth like roofing cement, I'll never eat it again. Heck, we all gotta die from something-- might as well be good food!

Later! OL JR :)

When I was a kid I worked at a local donut place that proudly advertised " fried in lard". Best donuts ever.

I can only say: Bacon maple bar.

I can only say: Do they deliver to the East Coast? I thought bacon in chocolate chip cookies was good but bacon and maple would be hard to beat. Come to think of it, my heart would be "hard-to-beat", too, after one of these.

Bill, get the guys at Kanes working on this, okay?

Does anyone (besides Angelo C.) go to Tim Horton's?

MK

Not a fan of the DD or KK. If you want good donuts you gotta find a mom and pop shop. There are a couple in St Louis (mostly towards the city near Vandeventer), Jarosch Bakery in Elk Grove Il is a favorite, it's by my grandparents house, not a doughnut but my favorite is the chocolate chip biscuit. Think 6 in dia flat cinnamon bun but take out the cinnamon and use chocolate instead! We have found some good bakeries here in Philly too!

At 3 minutes til 10pm- Pickings in Gainsville are slim! ;) I was just glad the local Dunkin is next to ABC- as I stopped in for a few stogies.

KEN- YEP real cruller shape.

There is Krispy Kreme 1/2 hour or more away on the other side of town, but not that late... They used to only have the yeast type doughnuts.
:pop: I actually got fired from a part time college job because on my first day, the owner told me to get doughnuts, and that Krispy Kreme was just down the block, and I thought that's what he meant. But, when I came back, he threw them across the shop and told me to go to a dunkin 15 minutes away. Then he complained I took too long... and.... :bangbang:

ANYWAY!!
We haven't been able to find any REAL BAKERIES around town, though I just heard about a chocolatier in Ocala, that I'll shortly be raid-er-visiting. :D
Bunny and I used to wait till 5 min to closing time at Publix (supermarket); then go into the bakery where we could get a whole box of whatever flavors, usually alot more than 12 for about $2.00. We used to get a few boxes for that price, freeze em, and eat em for a couple weeks or more... ;)
I don't know about other Publix's, but the local ones won't do that anymore.:(

The absolute best doughnuts I ever had, were way back in the late 70's-early-mid 80's up in Michigan, just before Halloween, at the Apple Cider Mills! They (almost all of them), used to fry really thick heavy cake style plain fresh hot doughnuts, right there. and I'd, or ask Mom for a hot bag, with a gallon jug of fresh pressed un-filtered un-pasteurized cider, have a seat under Mother Natures colorful canopy, dunk the doughnuts in the cider and YUMMY DOWN!!!:D

Last edited:
It was too labor intensive to handle the dough; rolling out the "rope" and manually twisting the tasty shape.
When I worked at a local donut shop one summer after graduating high school, we made our cruellers by just cutting a regular donut and then stretching and twisting it. It only took a few extra seconds.

When I started on the job, the owner told me I could drink as much coffee and eat as many donuts as I wanted during work hours. After a couple of weeks, I was so sick of donuts that I went years without any desire for donuts.

Even now, the only donuts I really like are plain cake donuts and cruellers.

Last edited:
You know I had an equaly angry reaction when pepsi had the "Throwback" and use REAL SUGAR! the stuff was nasty and I WANTED MY HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP!!! :hot:

You know I had an equaly angry reaction when pepsi had the "Throwback" and use REAL SUGAR! the stuff was nasty and I WANTED MY HIGH FRUTOSE CORN SYRUP!!! :hot:

Heathen.

Throwback is absolutely awesome. I'll be disappointed when it goes away.

Heathen.

Throwback is absolutely awesome. I'll be disappointed when it goes away.

Well if you've had the regular stuff the throwback Mountain dew is bad, but the throwback pepsi was very good.

Well if you've had the regular stuff the throwback Mountain dew is bad, but the throwback pepsi was very good.
Throwback Dew is better than regular Dew, the same applies to Pepsi. Give me sucrose over fructose any day.

Apple cider doughnuts are good, discovered those last year when we went pumpkin picking.

mmm throwback Pepsi could get me back into the Pepsi habit that I kicked in High school. Taste so much better than the HFCS stuff

Oh, that's SO WRONG... REAL PURE CANE SUGAR IS IT, BABY!

"there ain't nothing like the REAL THING, baby... nothing like the REAL THING!"

HFCS is PURE CRAP! (this from a FARMER!) It was the ruination of the "real" soft drinks... I don't even drink Dr. Pepper if I can help it unless I can get a REAL cane sugar soda. When the throwbacks came out, I bought a case-- first time I'd drank a Pepsi in YEARS (I don't drink much soda at all really, except at fast food joints, sometimes). I bought a case of the Throwback Mountain Dews (one of my bus driver buddies told me a story about how the first drink he bought when he got back from Vietnam was some new fangled soda called a "mountain dew" that he'd never heard of-- it came out while he was overseas) and I bought my buddy a case too. I've drank a FEW mountain dews over the years, but those REAL SUGAR ones are just SO much better, I couldn't hardly believe it!

It made me fighting mad to hear that the HFCS 'mafia' (primarily Archer Daniels Midland and Staley's-- these same type of big multinational robber barons who have ruined agriculture in general) over here in the States were trying to FORCE Mexico's soft drink industry to switch to HFCS instead of Mexican-grown cane sugar, even though the imported US HFCS sodas simply can't compete in the market down there-- NOBODY LIKES THEM COMPARED TO REAL PURE CANE SUGAR! They were trying to force the issue under NAFTA, and Mexico basically told them to go pound sand... GO MEXICO!!!

I used to LOVE getting a REAL COCA COLA down in Nuevo Laredo-- one in the ancient reusable glass bottles made with lots of REAL SUGAR... back before you had to have a passport to cross the border for lunch...

GOOD STUFF... you young-uns just don't know what's good... LOL:) OL JR :)

This thread was making me thirsty, so I just went and bought a bottle each of Pepsi and Mountain Dew (both throwback of course).

I'll definitely be disappointed when they stop making this stuff. I may need to stock up.

None of that high fructose corn syrup stuff over here in the EU, real sugar in everything. :p

Of course, we don't get any Mt Dew whatsoever...

Phil

Back