New DFR Technologies Scale Model Rocket Kits In Stock at JonRocket.com

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jadebox

Roger Smith
TRF Sponsor
Reaction score
We have the first of the new DFR Tech scale model rockets in stock at JonRocket.com.

Delta-II - GPS Model Rocket Kit - a 1/72nd scale flying model of the United Launch Alliance (ULA) – (formerly McDonnell Douglas then Boeing), NASA and USAF GPS workhorse rocket
Delta-II-DFR-003A-small.jpg

Delta-IV 4M Medium - GPS Model Rocket Kit - a 1/124th scale flying model of the United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV Medium 4+2 Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV)
Delta-IV-M4-2-DFR-005A-small.jpg

Delta-IV 5M Medium - WGS or NROL-2 Model Rocket Kit - a 1/124th scale flying model of the United Launch Alliance (ULA) Delta IV Medium 5+4 (5+2) Evolved Expendable Launch Vehicle (EELV)
Delta-IV-M5-4-DFR-004A-small.jpg

-- Roger

Thanks Roger, The updated Delta IV Heavy will be available in a couple of weeks, followed by two versions of the Atlas V.

Additional kits will be available next month of the EFT-1 (Orion Capsule) version of the Delta IV Heavy and the CST-100 (Boeing capsule) on a Atlas V.

Can you comment on the motor configuration(s)? Are they all single engine now?

The three new kits that we have in stock now are each powered by a single 24mm motor. I'll let Carl explain the rationale and tell us what kinds of motors the upcoming kits will use.

-- Roger

The three new kits that we have in stock now are each powered by a single 24mm motor. I'll let Carl explain the rationale and tell us what kinds of motors the upcoming kits will use.

-- Roger

Yes, I went to 24mm motors. With these rockets being very close to scale, the CG was always too far aft and required ballast. The models with the 18mm motors were just too close to the ragged edge. I never heard any complaints but in my own numerous flights it became apparent that more hummpf was needed for these. I have flown these with C11's just fine and the D12 gets them up there.

The updated 18mm based Delta IV heavy coming out will fly on a single D12-3 (APCP if anyone wishes to also). The new Atlas V models will also fly with the 24mm C11 or D12 motors.

Also in works is a Titan IVB, the Orion EFT-1 version of the Delta IV Heavy and the Boeing CST-100 manned version of the Atlas V.

Thanks,
-Carl-

Back