My first high power rocket for Level 1 certification: Apogee Zephyr

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Switch

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
This is my build a the Zephyr from Apogee Components. I didn't think I was ready for high power rocketry & was progressing from low power into medium power rockets of increasing complexity with no real aspirations to launch H+ motors. Mostly my focus has been on clustering black powder motors. First a 3 cluster 2 stage 1:90 scale Falcon Heavy and then a 3 cluster 2 stage 1:88 scale Delta IV Heavy. Then a 1:65 scale Falcon 9 Crew Dragon with nine motors and two stages. So the natural progression was to do a 1:65 scale Falcon Heavy. That last project unintentionally exceeded the 125g propellent limit for medium power rockets, so I'm building this Zephyr to get my level 1 certification just so that I can fly the Falcon Heavy. Or so I thought...

At first I felt like this was a set back. I read the NAR guidelines carefully and even contacted the NAR High Power Rockets Chairman (John E Thompson) hoping to use my Falcon Heavy as my Level 1 qualifying rocket. John was super helpful and informed me that, in fact, to get a Level 1 certification the rocket must have an H or I motor. John said:

After double checking the requirements on the NAR page for sanity sake.

Item number 4 for level states the following:

**at least one of the individual motors must be an H or I impulse motor**

4: The Level 1 High Power Certification Candidate must demonstrate their ability to build and fly a rocket containing at least one H or I impulse class motor. Cluster or staged models used for certification may not contain over 640.00 Newton seconds total impulse. In the case of a cluster or staged model, at least one of the individual motors must be an H or I impulse motor. Combinations of smaller impulse motors that add up to meet the impulse requirements do not qualify as the model does not contain at least one H or I impulse motor. Single use, reloadable, or hybrid technology motors are permitted. The Level 1 High Power Certification Candidate must assemble the reloadable motor, if used, in the presence of a Certification Team member.**
https://www.nar.org/high-power-rocketry-info/level-1-hpr-certification-procedures/

So I started working on the Zephyr and looking for a club that does high power launches in the summer after the California clubs all go into hibernation for the fire season. I found the ROCKONN Northern Nevada Rocket Club & plan to do my Level 1 certification attempt at their next club launch on May 21st.

And so I've been working on the Zephyr & I have to admit, I'm really excited about this rocket! The instructions are very straightforward and all of the materials are well made. Because their is nothing to design (all of my other rockets were scratch built) and I'm not modeling a real rocket, I focused my efforts on doing something that would look sick on the pad and hopefully come back in one piece.

For the body tubes I decided to go for a red lightning effect:
IMG_e1981.jpg
This is done by applying Rustoleum Primer directly over a base coat of Rustoluem Sunrise Red while the Red paint is still wet.
The effect is subtle. From the distances it just looks black. But when you look closer, it draws you in..
IMG_e1982.jpg
For the nose cone and fins, I just did the Rustoleum Sunrise Red.

IMG_e1984.jpg
IMG_1986.JPG

All of the parts required multiple coats of paint with wet sanding between each coat. I had to be extra careful with the body tubes since they are just cardboard and don't like water.

Now that I have everything painted, I can move on to finish the final assembly.

I'm really enjoying working on a project of this size and really looking forward to the launch.

Last edited:
Nice work
Zephyr is a very nice HPR you will enjoy it.
Straight flyer….nice materials… nice size….

Your Zephyr looks nice.
The Princeton University Rocket club uses the Zephyr for their L1 cert flights at my club site.
Many pass but some fail due to improper chute packing.

Last edited:
This may help you
Tim
Is showing how to pack the chute and use a nomex chute protector and he uses a zephyr for example

I would never pack the chute and cord like Tim shows.
Several possible problems.
1- wrapping chute cord around chute can cause line twisting and fouling chute.
2- shock cord can foul chute.
3- Acceleration/gravity can unwrap the chute since the burrito is near the top of the tube and wants to go to the bottom.
I have had these happen using his method.

What I do:
1- Put a loop on the shock cord at most 1/3 from nose to BT. Attach chute to loop.
2- Put the Nomex just below the cord loop (below chute) as he did showed (loop twice through button hole in Nomex).
3- Braid the cord between the BT and nomex (Tim has a video of braiding small kevlar shock cord. Works the same way with wider nylon webbing). This does three things.
a. prevents the cord tangling and fouling the chute.
b. provide shock absorption during ejection which prevents a sudden jolt when the nose cone fully extends the cord.
c. Since the cord slows the nose while the chute is opening, it also slows the chute deployment since the full weight of the booster section is not on the chute right away.
4- Fold the chute with all shroud lines together. But have each 'panel' of the chute folded out and together.
5- Z-fold like Tim shows and lay onto Nomex diagonally. Leave chute width of half 'panel, do not fold like he did.
6- Fold top Nomex corner over chute so it covers about 1/4 to 1/3 of folded chute.
7- Lay the top of shroud lines along the the folded in corner of Nomex. Only 6 inch or so of should lines.
8- fold Nomex and chute again covering the shroud lines.
9- Fold shroud lines back over Nomex. There is a layer on Nomex between first fold of shroud lines and the second.
10- Fold over Nomex and chute again then fold over the shroud lines again.
11- fold over the right and left Nomex corners (this is just like rolling a tortilla into a burrito).
12- Fold remaining should lines inside and roll up the Nomex full enclosing the chute and shroud lines.
13- Now braided shock cord into BT and burrito on top, finish with inserting nose cone.

On this forum there are photos and videos showing this method. It is where I learned how to do this.

Notes:
The chute burrito should be very loose in BT. The ejection charge only pushes off the nose cone with enough force to 'shoot' it at least half the length of the shock cord. The nose pulls the chute and then shock cord out of the BT.

Another reason to have the Chute attached down the shock cord from the nose is to allow it the settle down the tube from gravity and acceleration during boost. The way Tim shows can cause the burrito to open and expose the chute to the ejection gases.

If the shock cord is Nylon then I like adding a second Nomex blanket that goes into the BT like wadding below the shock cord. This one I attach right near the top of the BT like Tim did in the Video. This one is layed across the BT centered then pushed in a little way. The shock cord then fills up the Nomex 'cup'. Then the cord and Nomex is pushed down the tube to sit on top of the motor mount.

Did the forum search and found a thread on folding the burrito:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/threads/chute-placement-z-folds.165362/#post-2117892

Last edited:
I really don't want to experiment with new ideas on this launch. But I can't help but ask if other rockets don't have a basket of some kind to hold the recovery chute and excess shock cord as far forward to the nose cone as possible & keep it from sliding backward during the acceleration of launch.?

Last edited:
I really don't want to experiment with new ideas on this launch. But I can't help but ask if other rockets don't have a basket of some kind to hold the recovery chute and excess shock cord as far forward to the nose cone as possible & keep it from sliding backward during the acceleration of launch.?
On my Zephyr I put a Nomex shock cord protector on the stock nylon shock cord (wouldn't need if using Kevlar). It covers the lower two feet of the cord. I pack this in first then the parachute pack, then the excess shock cord. Instead of a Nomex blanket I'm using a deployment bag;
Deployment bag.jpg
Also using a Featherweight GPS tracker in the nose cone;
ZM2.jpg
ZM3.jpg
Zephyr missile.jpg

Last edited:
Very cool looking

On my Zephyr I put a Nomex shock cord protector
on the stock nylon shock cord (wouldn't need if

using Kevlar). It covers the lower two feet of the cord. I pack this in first then the parachute pack, then the excess shock cord. Instead of a Nomex blanket I'm using a deployment bag;
View attachment 518588
View attachment 518589
View attachment 518590
View attachment 518591

On my Zephyr I put a Nomex shock cord protector on the stock nylon shock cord (wouldn't need if using Kevlar). It covers the lower two feet of the cord. I pack this in first then the parachute pack, then the excess shock cord. Instead of a Nomex blanket I'm using a deployment bag;
View attachment 518588
View attachment 518589
View attachment 518590
View attachment 518591

Until now, I didn't know what a deployment bag was. What length do you use and what parachute?

https://shop.fruitychutes.com/colle...ducts/4-deployment-bag?variant=31973408800858
I just have the 36" nylon chute that came with the kit. Not sure what length deployment bag I'd need.

BTW: I love the US ARMY motif.

Are the slots in the fins to make the rocket whistle on the way up?

Are the slots in the fins to make the rocket whistle on the way up?

Straight off their website...

1/4 inch Thick Plywood Fins - The trapezoid shape is classic, but we wanted to add a little style to it, so we cut a little slot near the tip. It is purely decorative, just to give the rocket a distinctive look from all the other models you'll see on the flight line.

Hi Switch,
Nice looking rocket .... consider checking the center of gravity on the rocket ... it seems to me that Zephyr benefits from some extra weight in the nose....

Zeta

Until now, I didn't know what a deployment bag was. What length do you use and what parachute?

https://shop.fruitychutes.com/colle...ducts/4-deployment-bag?variant=31973408800858
I just have the 36" nylon chute that came with the kit. Not sure what length deployment bag I'd need.

BTW: I love the US ARMY motif.
I'm using a 4' diameter chute. Have more weight than stock with 54mm motor mount / motor.
You could probably use a 3" diameter deployment bag. A deployment bag requires a small pilot chute or you can get one from Rocketman with the pilot chute incorporated. Also helps to have a chute with a loop sewn in the top of the canopy.
Deployment bag with pilot chute.jpg

KISS.....your really do not want to use a deployment bag. Especially if you have never heard of one until this thread. Also, do not worry about the chute sliding down. The lines holding the burrito will hold it, or pack it at the bottom. Also, I have used chutes wrapped with the shrouds, or shrouds folded in, with 100% success either way.

KISS.....your really do not want to use a deployment bag. Especially if you have never heard of one until this thread. Also, do not worry about the chute sliding down. The lines holding the burrito will hold it, or pack it at the bottom. Also, I have used chutes wrapped with the shrouds, or shrouds folded in, with 100% success either way.
Agreed. First rocket, L1 attempt, keep it simple.

This...
Or better yet, follow the same procedures you have used on your f and g power launches

Don't make a cert flight something new. If you do, it opens the door for something to "trip you up" just because you "didn't know".

That said, it's YOUR Flight. Do what YOU want to; and feel comfortable with. ( And can get support from you Certification Observers and the RSO for... THEIR opinions DO matter.)

Agreed. First rocket, L1 attempt, keep it simple.

SkyFire: I love the irony of your comment, considering that I originally wanted to use a 1:65 scale Falcon Heavy with 27cores, booster separation at BECO, second stage ignition at MECO, reverse ejection of the motor cores for recovery, a Red Tesla Roadster as a payload, and landing legs that extend for upright landing for my L1...

Success!!

Here's my NAR HPR Level 1 certification flight:

This was with a Aerotech H130 motor.

The Zephyr came down right on top of the parking area. I was lucky the rocket was not damaged by Wayne's truck; it was a close call.

Special thanks to Wayne, Ron, and Jennifer from Rocketry Organization of Northern Nevada for making this launch possible.

Last edited:
Congratulations on L1

Success!!

Here's my NAR HPR Level 1 certification flight:

This was with a Aerotech H130 motor.

The Zephyr came down right on top of the parking area. I was lucky the rocket was not damaged by Wayne's truck; it was a close call.

Special thanks to Wayne, Ron, and Jennifer from Rocketry Organization of Northern Nevada for making this launch possible.

Back