Need help on my Estes Saturn V build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KILTED COWBOY

Reaction score
So I am on page 6 of the instructions where you install the centering ring with the 2 holes punched in it for the loop made of cord you use for the 3rd stage parachute attachment.
I am confused as to which tube/ring i am supposed to use.
P/N 030281 Reinforcing Ring 1"
or
P/N 030280 Main Body Coupler 1 3/8"
The instructions are not very clear and I do not want to glue in the centering ring into the wrong one. I
believe it is the 1" tube/ring.
Any help from those who have built would be appreciated

Hey Cowboy,
The reinforcing ring is glued inside the end of the main body near the motor mount (see page 5). This stiffens the end as well as providing a stop for the display nozzle assembly.
The centering ring with the two holes is glued to the end of the main coupler. As a check they should be the same diameter.
This will be the shoulder of the big transition.
Hope this helps!

Hi Cowboy. You actually glue 2 centering rings into the coupler. the one with 2 punched holes will go towards the bottom of the rocket when assembled, sent pic of this one. The other, goes towards the top, has no holes. You should end up with something like the second pic shows. Don't forget to tie in your cord.

Attachments

• centering rings 001.JPG
    centering rings 001.JPG
    80.6 KB · Views: 32
  • centering rings 002.JPG
    centering rings 002.JPG
    134.7 KB · Views: 36
Hi Cowboy. You actually glue 2 centering rings into the coupler. the one with 2 punched holes will go towards the bottom of the rocket when assembled, sent pic of this one. The other, goes towards the top, has no holes. You should end up with something like the second pic shows. Don't forget to tie in your cord.
Thanks, I know which centering ring to use, my confusion is to which tube to use, there are two tubes one is about 1 inch tall the other is a bit taller. the diagram in the instruction book on page six shows that centering ring being glued to the bottom of one of those small tubes. Then the centering ring without the holes gets glued to the other opning in this small tube to form like a donut which gets attached to the long body tube.
I just am confused as to which tube to use the smaller one or the one a bit taller

The taller tube is the coupler. Glue the two rings to that one.
The shorter tube is the reinforcing ring glued below the motor mount to stiffen the end of the main tube.

The taller tube is the coupler. Glue the two rings to that one.
The shorter tube is the reinforcing ring glued below the motor mount to stiffen the end of the main tube.
Thank you kuririn, that answers my question. I would have used the wrong tube without your help.
I appreciate the help you have given me in the past and today.

Back