Need advice

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...my question is how do I apply the spot putty and sand without the fuzz spots for a nice clean paint job as I want the rocket to look nice. And again thanks for all the input and advice

If you sand a paper tube, you will likely get little fuzzies. Maybe a light sanding on a glassine coated paper tube won't, but sanding an Estes tube thoroughly enough to remove filler from grooves will very likely give you some. Enough that you will have to deal with it. After sanding the tube, you will need to shoot it with filler primer all over. THAT'S when you sand it smooth.

1. prime once all over
2. sand with 400 grit
3. prime again
4. sand with 800 grit (or smoother if you already have a nice, smooth coat)
5. spray it with paint (I like duplo-color enamel. It's pretty.)
6. sand with 800 - 1200 grit
7. second coat of paint
8. if you're really into pretty paint, sand again with >1200 grit
9. final paint coat
10. prep the paint with rubbing compound (I use Meguiar's compound and a handheld electric buffer)
11. polish (I use Meguiar's polish and glaze and the buffer)
12. apply wax

You can also put a glossy topcoat on top of the paint, but for me (since I'm not a real expert), I can't tell the difference. It all seems to come down to a fairly smooth final pain layer that gets prepped with compound, polish, and wax.

Just don't look at my posted examples. I suck. :p

Latest posts

Back