NAR S&T: New Estes motor certified - L2350

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They have made prototypes of a similar powered motor for DECADES! The surprise to me is that they've upped the av thrust to ~60n. I expected when someone decided to actually produce it, it would be around 35-40n.

Remember when FSI F-100s were only F-50 newtons ? Yet they refused to change their marketing? They also had E-60s and I used that in A div to get a US record in mercury Dual Egg Loft in 1975. I assumed they were tested to less as well... But they worked...

Today I think a Real E-50 to E-60ish BP motor is possible...

EDIT: I still have a few of the F-100s from the mid 70s that did not explode. When I flew my Enerjet 2250 copy at Danville Dare-2 Chris Pearson the LCO said Watch the CATO, then after it took off for a perfect launch said Wow.. The older ones I got in 1975 were made by a guy named Joe Roose if I have the name spelling correct; they did not have problems. In the late 70s they were CATOing all over.

Last edited:
A 6mm difference….

Assuming those are the dimensions that go into production as the E60, could that be adapted to fit a 24x95mm motor mount tube with a standard 24mm motor block? Or would a brand new adapter have to be made?
There's absolutely no need for motor blocks anymore, hasn't been for decades. Why limit yourself to a predetermined length?

There's absolutely no need for motor blocks anymore, hasn't been for decades. Why limit yourself to a predetermined length?
My idea was more that a free motor block, not glued in, could act a bit like that removable orange adapter ring that allows E rockets to fly on C11 and D12 motors. Like this:

0B95C998-80CD-4F21-80F0-9FA30A73AEEE.jpeg

I’ve got a Hi-Flier XL that already has a block installed from a motor mount rebuild, that would be a pain to remove.

Paper cases, unlike reloadable cases, have no intergral thrust ring.

On an end-burner BP motor, masking tape is sufficient . . . However on a "sledgehammer" core-burner, especially in a heavy rocket, the motor might need solid support.

Piccture trying to fly a LOKI motor, without the external snap-ring "thrust ring".

Dave F.

Last edited:
Tape will hold on any motor. Sledgehammer or otherwise. Use wider tape if concerned. Tape is all we had in the early days. I have seen pics of Dr Kosdon using a tape thrust ring on one of his O motors. And Frank's were all mostly sledgehammer. I can understand newbies reservations regarding a tape thrust ring but trust the tape. It won't let you down.

Paper cases, unlike reloadable cases, have no intergral thrust ring.

On an end-burner BP motor, masking tape is sufficient . . . However on a "sledgehammer" core-burner, especially in a heavy rocket, the motor might need solid support.

Piccture trying to fly a LOKI motor, without the external snap-ring "thrust ring".

Dave F.

Frank Kosdon flew an O motor with a masking tape thrust ring. [Edit: I seen I double posted with Jim above] It's been posted here many times when the above statement has been posted.. First time I read about masking tape thrust rings it was in the 1970's NAR newsletter article called "In Defense Of Masking Tape". I have used masking tape and duck tape covering on J motors when the retention otherwise was not possible.

So yes I can picture and fly a LOKI motor with out the external snap ring. I have seen research motors that do not have the outside snap-ring.

The cert shows the propellant type as an EX number. Search the internet for the DoT EX number look up. The EX document has details about the propellant casting, case type, closures, etc. for this propellant.

Tape will hold on any motor. Sledgehammer or otherwise. Use wider tape if concerned. Tape is all we had in the early days. I have seen pics of Dr Kosdon using a tape thrust ring on one of his O motors. And Frank's were all mostly sledgehammer. I can understand newbies reservations regarding a tape thrust ring but trust the tape. It won't let you down.

In 2009 a bunch of us flew "Group Therapy" with a central M and three L something or others in old school gold colored Kosdon or Loki cases with masking tape thrust rings. Worked perfectly. WIsh i could remember more details from that flight...

Back