NAR HPR Level 2 Exam for the iPhone

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wanton

Reaction score
Hey folks,

I'm not sure how many members will read this, but I thought I should publicize a hack I just did to study for the L2. I loved an app that helped me pass my ARRL Tech Exam, but I couldnt find one for the HPR L2 Exam. Anyway, I found a well regarded Flashcard App called Flashcard Deluxe (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/flashcards-deluxe/id307840670) , and wrote a python script to parse the NAR study guide PDF into their format (See https://orangeorapple.com/).

If you download the app -- it's $4 - and I have no affiliation with the author except he is incredibly helpful (he got me the multi-choice format sorted out in a few hours). Then go [+] Add Deck, then search in Shared Library for "HPR Level 2" and you should see the 97 card deck. Once you've downloaded, its important you change the deck setting to "Multiple Choice" = On and set "Order Answers" = On.

You could also try the Lite version of the app as well if you want - I don't know if you can download from the Shared Library with that, but it's free so can't hurt.

LMK if it's useful. There's one caveat - all the questions have 4 answers apart from one that has 8 - the flashcard upload only supports 4 answers, so I "fudged" it (and made the correct answer D instead of H).

Probably should x-post in Mid Power, but I'll let a moderator decide that before I get my name blackened.

W

Last edited:
hmm, I found a bug - need to figure out why some of the answers are getting jumbled around! Will post an update when it's fixed.

Bug fixed - it was pulling in random answers due to a format issue - same instructions as before, Shared Library Deck should be named "NAR HPR L2 Rev 2" -- Enjoy -- post any error reports here. I think you can always edit your copy of the deck and RE-SHARE.

W

Thank you! I've been trying to compile something like this for myself, but this works way better!

Also before anyone complains about not supporting Android or Linux or PCs or HTML - if you want to munge the data yourself, you can have my Python code and cleaned up PDF text dump that I ran it over. Just send me a PM. There are two Flashcard websites that the author mentions - Quizlet and Flashcard exchange - I just don't know if they support multiple choice format. I formatted for the iPhone app because I study on the bus on the way to work.

Update: Neither Quizlet nor Flashcard support Multiple Choice. There are slew of other "Test Maker" type apps, but I haven't seen any with bulk upload, but I'm sure someone must have done something like that.

Last edited:
Kewl beans! I was thinking about trying to so something with Study Blue website... this will be much easier if I can get it to work with the iPad. However, I am only seeing the questions and the answer, but not the choices.

Make sure you set the multiple choice option and order. Once you have downloaded - and are in "Decks" click on NAR HPR L2 REV 2 -> then click on the cogwheel in top right - third section has "Multiple Choice" - click here, switch it ON, and in the third section make sure Order Custom Answers is ON, and Ignore Custom Answers is Off. LMK if this works? Unfortunately the shared Library doesn't save these settings on upload.

Also - if you want to see the "Commentary" -- then you need to click the bottom center icon (of a Square Card) before you attempt an answer, and then click "Extra Info" (actually I think if you get it wrong you can look too).

There's a bunch of test settings you can play with, eg short term learning strategies, statistics etc. Still getting the hang of it myself.

W

Last edited:
I had those selected.. However, I had to turn browse mode off as well. Now I am getting the options. Much better!

Back