My Thoughts on Michael Collins

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yukon@K-9 Rocket Tech

Student, Drone and Rockets, Aspiring Engineer
Reaction score
I started reading Michael Collin's book Carrying The Fire and am enjoying it. To be honest Collins is probably my favorite Apollo 11 astronaut. I feel like he's quite forgotten and deserves far more credit. When we hear Apollo 11 we tend to think of Buzz and Armstrong and how they stepped on the moon. Without thousands of people it wouldn't have been possible to both land and return from the moon. Most people recognize up to there, but they often forget about Michael Collins, one of the few humans who got to see the far side of the moon and made it possible for the Buzz and Neil to return home. As I read more and watched interviews, Michael Collins never pursued attention or fame, rather did his mission and was happy with that. It's sparking a lot of interest about this man to me. All in all I just wanted to bring up some conversation about this extraordinary astronaut.

~end of short essay

Tell me what you think of Michael Collins below

I have to agree. I don't think he ever really sought the publicity like Aldrin does. Here's some more food for thought: If something had happened to Neil and Buzz, he would have had to return by himself. Also, he's one of only 6 people to orbit the moon solo.

Phil L.

I first got a copy of Carrying the Fire in 1976 and read it many times; it is still on my bookshelf. I just got another copy, this one autographed by Collins. I also have a print of one of his paintings that he personally autographed. Collins is a remarkable man and his books, especially that one, are great reads, even for the layperson. If you can catch one of his rare speaking engagements they are a real pleasure; there is one online of him speaking to a group of students at MIT recently that is great. I haven't met him (I've met Buzz, who's an entirely different personality) but would love to have a conversation with him if the opportunity arose.

Three of the best astronaut books are written by Michaels:
  • Carrying the Fire by Michael Collins
  • Riding Rockets by Mike Mullane
  • Spaceman by Mike Masimino

I agree. Actually, from now on, I'm trying out the hypothesis that 2nd and 3rd place people are generally better overall. Let's see where this will go.🥈🥉 (no disrespect to Neil, this is just a test).

I really appreciated that the dedication in Andy Weir's "Artemis" read "For Mike, Dick, Jack, Stu, Al, Ken, and Ron. Those guys don't get nearly enough credit."

If you don't know, those are the CMP's in order from Apollos 11-17.

Yup, always been quite impressed with his (and their) ability to fly a machine single handedly around the far side of the moon where they were truly alone in the universe, no communication ability, and isolated. That would take some serious mental ability as well...

Yup, always been quite impressed with his (and their) ability to fly a machine single handedly around the far side of the moon where they were truly alone in the universe, no communication ability, and isolated. That would take some serious mental ability as well...
Or they could just schedule sleep periods during the communication outage. It's mostly when things go horribly wrong that you need men with The Right Stuff.

Or they could just schedule sleep periods during the communication outage. It's mostly when things go horribly wrong that you need men with The Right Stuff.

Considering said comm outages lasted less than an hour each, that's not at all practical. The CMP was not idle while the other two crew members were on the surface of the moon - they kept the spacecraft healthy and performed various aerial observations of the lunar surface. Men with The Right Stuff also are very good at preventing things from going wrong in the first place.

If you have not scene the 2007 movie "In the Shadow of the Moon" you need to. It's a documentary in which many of the Apollo Astronauts were interviewed and talked about their experiences & feelings while being at the Moon. After watching that movie Mike Collins became my favorite Apollo astronaut.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0925248/?ref_=fn_al_tt_2

As I recall, Mr. Collins said he actually enjoyed the solitude on the back side; had a cup of coffee, did his tasks, relaxed. Now I want that book. And for those of you wishing to spend their life's savings, Heritage Auctions is having another auction of great Mercury-Apollo space stuff, ending June 5, and why would I do that you'll all outbid me! ;)

Back