My Sumo 'Quickie" build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the plastic loop on the cone looks weak, I'd probably drill a couple of holes and loop the shock cord through that. Considering the whole cone is plastic, if that doesn't hold then there's going to be more problems than the attachment.

While I wouldn't go as far as "I wouldn't want that on my rocket", proportion is key. Another concern about some of the heavy hardware I see here is if it's not centered, it's throwing off the balance of the rocket.

I generally have not had an issue with the plastic ring. I don't attach the chute there however. I attach it on a loop made a bit down on the shock cord.

Actually that's probably about what Aerotech says to do.

I wasn't thinking symmetry , I may think about reworking the NC if it is a crappy day fri. if I do a bulkhead for nosecone, if I cut shoulder at the point where it starts to taper back to the base(the area that the hook thing is), that should be fine, yes?

The weight I can see being a slight concern, being out of balance concerns me more.

It'll be fine. Don't let people make you second guess. Fly it. Enjoy. Make the next one better. Continuous improvement... there is always another rocket. :)

It'll be fine. Don't let people make you second guess. Fly it. Enjoy. Make the next one better. Continuous improvement... there is always another rocket. :)

You would be wise to heed Jeff's words. "Fly it. Enjoy."

Its ready, just tossed on some primer to give it a little coat of protection, will need to spend more time getting it sanded smooth and pretty but i have all winter for that. I have to think of a paint scheme..
image.jpg
image.jpg

Question-why do all my pics come up sideways? They are correct on my phone and computer. I did a little search but couldn't find a solution.

Question-why do all my pics come up sideways? They are correct on my phone and computer. I did a little search but couldn't find a solution.

Is it an iPhone? They do weird stuff with rotation.

Because your software is probably reading the camera orientation in the camera's EXIF data and automatically rotates the image for viewing without you asking. However TRF does not know this data exists, or ignores it, or removes it, or whatever.

This happens to me in Lightroom occasionally. What I do is 'export' the image and save it to a new file. That exported image generally has the correct orientation saved in the data of the picture.

I will make one small comment about your nose cone for the future. DO NOT make changes to what you have based on this comment. Squared holes are starting points for cracks & tears. Round holes are better structurally and aesthetically. Just an observation.

I think you did well.
As Jeff mentioned, save any pictures to the computer first. Then if it looks right your good, if not you can always rotate/adjust the image before uploading.

There are as many opinions here as there are members. The whole point of any hobby is to enjoy it. Unless something violates the Safety Codes, use what you want and keep the rest in the back of your head for later...

Have fun, fly safe!

The sideways picture thing happens to me sometimes, but only when you click on the image to see the full size version. It doesn't happen all the time, and I always upload photos to the PC and edit them before posting them here.

Squared holes are starting points for cracks & tears. Round holes are better structurally and aesthetically.

This is why, I like to read peoples build threads. Never even considered the round versus square before. It makes sense, I will need to try this as well in the future. Thanks for the tip.

This is why, I like to read peoples build threads. Never even considered the round versus square before. It makes sense, I will need to try this as well in the future. Thanks for the tip.

He is right round holes are structurally better. I know when I cut Lexan bodies for my RC truck I use a reamer in the corners of say the windows when I cut them out. Round holes will stop cracks from starting.

I get that same warm feeling seeing a fat parachute in the sky!

Back