My new scratch built upscale the Super SAROS

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

astronboy

Reaction score
Well, winter building season is upon us here in upstate NY. I have just sent in a BMS order for parts for my latest mid-power upscale creation: The upscale Saros. Sandman is turning the complex custom cone and the 60/70 transition for me.

I LOVE the BT-70 and have chosen it as the basis for the main airframe. This will give me a model just over 50" tall!

Despite its size, the basic simmed model is under 6 ounces which means the real life model with glue and paint should be me around 8-10oz. I plan on using only model rocket parts such as paper tubes, balsa fins and nosecones, 1/16" ply rings and yellow glue: no epoxy or glass.

The idea is to build a mid power MODEL rocket. One that flies well on an E9. My Upscale Big Bird Zero weighs in at 8.4 oz.and my Aori Hi upscale is 9.4 oz. Both were built in the same midpower mod-roc style, and the E9 is the perfect low cost/lots of fun motor for them.

Anyway, attached is the rocsim file. I will post more once I receive the parts.

Phred

Well, no sooner did I create this post, then a package arrived... Yes! the parts that Sandman created!

The parts are beautiful, and light as a feather!

Here is a pic:

Now, the truly impressive feature is the size of the parts: here is a pic with the original SAROS:

I just couldn't resist: here is q quick mockup with the body tubes:

Very impressive size!

I would have sent it sooner but I had company on Saturday.

My company even helped me make it!:D

One thing I did forget...really sorry...I was in such a hurry to get it out...I forgot to sign it!:(

Well, the parts are really great!! Thanks!

I am now only waiting for the BMS parts: rings, rocsim lasercut fins, and a slotted body tube.

Ph

Wonderful - I don't know why, but the Saros was one of those rockets I always wanted but never got (way back in '73). I would love to do a reasonable facsimile if anyone ever comes across the plans and posts them.

Greg

You are in luck Greg: The plastic parts are available from Moldin Oldies:

https://moldinoldies.rocketshoppe.com/estes2.htm

The other dimensions (from my original) are as follows:

Lower BT: (BT50) 8.75"

TA 2050: 2" long

Upper BT: (BT20) 6.5"

Excelsior has the decals!

You should be able to hash out the rest.... ;)

Phred

I think Phred is out of town.

He hasn't posted in 5 days.

Phred ran off with the Maxi Saros to start a new life together... Wish them luck.

Hi Guys,

I have received my parts order from BMS last week. It was delayed as I ordered a bunch of custom rings, rocsim fins, and had the tube laser cut for fin slots. Of course, everything fits perfectly!!

Now, I have started to sand.... :(

As the fins are 1/4" balsa, I am not simply rounding them. I have started to sand them from root to tip... the root will remain 1/4" and the tip will be 1/8". I will sthen sand the leading and trailing edges to a bi-convex shape.

I hate sanding, and I have a massive sinus infection, so this may take a while....

I was away for a while for Thanksgiving... and between tearing a contact lens and the above mentioned sinus infection, I was not feeling so well all of last week... I am on the mend however.

Phred

This is an awesome project! Keep us posted.

I hope the sanding goes well; it and sealing balsa are my least favorite parts too :D

Back