My Latest Creation.....

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fuddrucker

TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All.

Well, I have finally finished my latest project. It is called "Gone Batty" and is just under 7' tall, 5.5" dia, 54mm mount, and weighs 11lbs fully prepped with motor installed. It will be making its first flight at ROCstock on June 11th. With any luck, I may be able to get'r up in the air during the daylight hours. Bats generally like to fly at night though so we shall see.

I want to fly her on a relatively conservative motor the first time around to see how those large fins are going to react so I have chosen a 38mm I211. Since the fins have such a large surface area compared to the actual amount of fin that is attached to the rocket, I am a little concerned with fin wobble if the motor has a lot of thrust. Another concern I have is breaking a fin on landing so recovery is going to be on two 60" bright orange chutes. If all goes well, I may put a J350 in and go for my level 2 with it.

The bat decals also glow in the dark. It looks really cool at night with the glowing bat wings and evil eyes.

...Fudd

Do you fly with the Vatsaas team? They inspired my version, that I originally built for, but never flew at, a low/mid-power night launch.

Originally posted by rstaff3
Do you fly with the Vatsaas team? They inspired my version, that I originally built for, but never flew at, a low/mid-power night launch.

Nope, never heard of them. I got the idea around halloween when I saw a shirt with "Bat-attitude" across the front.

I actually came across your rocket a while back after I started working on mine. I really like the way you did the viens/bones on the fins. I had Gone Batty in mind for the name as well. Hope you don't mind me using the same name. I was also thinking of "Bat outta Hell".

...Fudd

Be careful with those fins...BIG chute, small motors!!!

Otherwise, looks great!

Originally posted by Fuddrucker
Nope, never heard of them. I got the idea around halloween when I saw a shirt with "Bat-attitude" across the front.

I actually came across your rocket a while back after I started working on mine. I really like the way you did the viens/bones on the fins. I had Gone Batty in mind for the name as well. Hope you don't mind me using the same name. I was also thinking of "Bat outta Hell".

...Fudd

Thanks for the compliment :) No trademark on that name :)

Fudd, that looks awesome!! Did you glass the fins? Wish I could see it , but I won't be able to make it to ROCstoc, so get somw good shots.

Kellytym,

Bummer that you won't be at RocStock. I'll be there taking lots of pictures.

Well, the bat has flown!! It also came back in great condition and I could not be happier. It flew on an I211 to about 800'. Nice slow liftoff, chute popped right at the top, and came down very gently. The only damage was a 1/4" of the tip of one fin/wing chipped on landing.

For the next flight I am thinking of an I284, or a nice low thrust / long burn K550. Pictures to follow.

...Fudd

I vote "YES!" Most excellent.

I know what you'll be doing Oct.31... ;)

Bruce

Cool rocket, and awesome liftoff shot, but it's a bit odd.
There's 8 people back there and it seems only 1 is looking at the rocket. What's wrong with them? :D

Tim

Originally posted by slim_t
Cool rocket, and awesome liftoff shot, but it's a bit odd.
There's 8 people back there and it seems only 1 is looking at the rocket. What's wrong with them? :D

Tim

Yea, I noticed that too. I was thinking "hey, quit talking and pay attention to my rocket lifting off dangit". The guy in the blue shirt and shorts with the beige baseball cap is the president of our club even. At least I am pretty sure that is him.

...Fudd

Back