My first E launch blew up.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flew 105 rockets at the last launch.

5 were E12 and 1 was E9. All worked perfectly.

Date codes or perfect motors:

E9-4 061702 (they did not write down the letter - if there was one)

E12-4 A071417, H191219,unknown (they did not write it down...)
E12-6 B180718, H190919
Congratulations! Success!

Congratulations! Success!

Its not a matter of "if its gonna happen" its more like when its gonna happen. Some people swear by em , they just have been really fortunate or very lucky. I fly them in stuff Im not worried about killing , and at least Estes always makes it right. :D

The pricing at Hobby Lobby makes the Estes E's pretty tempting but I am not sure it is worth it when I have 24mm hardware. Reloading isn't as convenient as single use motors but for me assembling the motor is part of the fun.

I do have to agree Estes does take good care of folks. They came through big time for a program we are doing in my Wife's class. She teaches 4th grade science and Estes stepped up in a big way.

The pricing at Hobby Lobby makes the Estes E's pretty tempting but I am not sure it is worth it when I have 24mm hardware. Reloading isn't as convenient as single use motors but for me assembling the motor is part of the fun.
The other thing about 24mm RMS is that I can get different propellants that have different colored smoke. :D

The other thing about 24mm RMS is that I can get different propellants that have different colored smoke. :D

I love the Black Jack motors for the low and smokey launch. Then just to keep folks on their toes a Blue Thunder F tends to wake them up. I don't fly a lot of White Lighting these days. We need a Dark Matter 24mm !!!!! That would be insane

I flew pretty much all Black Jacks at the last launch, my deflector and rail were covered in black crudd !!!!!LOL, LOL

I love the Black Jack motors for the low and smokey launch. Then just to keep folks on their toes a Blue Thunder F tends to wake them up. I don't fly a lot of White Lighting these days. We need a Dark Matter 24mm !!!!! That would be insane

I flew pretty much all Black Jacks at the last launch, my deflector and rail were covered in black crudd !!!!!LOL, LOL
I have the 24/40 case and it would be great it Aerotech made RedLine, Mojave Green, and Metal Storm or Dark Matter for this case. :p

I have the 24/40 case and it would be great it Aerotech made RedLine, Mojave Green, and Metal Storm or Dark Matter for this case. :p

I agree 100%!!!!! I have the 29mm Hobby Case as well and the G76 is a Mojave Green !!! It is a ball to fly. I actually have one in the other room:D:D just waiting for my club launch in two weeks.

I also have a 162g rocket ready for an E-28 to send it skyward !!!

We wont be getting sparkies in the smaller cases. They're considered high power and require certification.

Part of the rationale being not just anyone can get their hands on them, light one, and burn down a field.

We wont be getting sparkies in the smaller cases. They're considered high power and require certification.

Part of the rationale being not just anyone can get their hands on them, light one, and burn down a field.

I have my Tripoli Level 1 certification. It would be great if they made the sparkies in 24mm size for those of us who are certified.

There are quite a few easier ways to burn a field but I understand they want the flier to have some level of competence.

Last edited:
Triple cato in my LOC Viper 3:IMG_9851.JPGIMG_9852.JPG

Three E12-8's from the same package, date code A 05 15 12
LOC kit is OOP, but I did order parts for a scratch build. Might try a different motor mfg.....
MESS report filed, still need to contact Estes, but do I ask for more E12's?

3 for 3, that's unbelievable. Unfortunately, that date code has been on the bad motor list since 2018:

Suspected Bad Motor List
This information is provided as a "heads-up" guide with no assurance that the information is completely accurate. Nonetheless it suggests that one might exercise caution should they wish to use the date coded motors shown above. If you have a CATO, please post up the motor size and the date...
www.rocketryforum.com

I have a package Estes E's that I got on sale at Hobby Lobby that are on the list. I have no idea what to do with them.

Thanks for the link to that thread, I read the whole thing this morning and found where John Coker has made the MESS reports searchable!
I posted up my search on that thread where there have been nine reported failures of E12's with the same date code as the ones I flew.
Thanks to John for providing this handy tool for research.

Triple cato in my LOC Viper 3:View attachment 413371View attachment 413372

Three E12-8's from the same package, date code A 05 15 12
LOC kit is OOP, but I did order parts for a scratch build. Might try a different motor mfg.....
MESS report filed, still need to contact Estes, but do I ask for more E12's?

E12's require Hazmat shipping, so they won't send you those. I think D12's can be shipped without Hazmat, so you get those instead.

Back