Moving Heavy Stuff

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boatgeek

Reaction score
This video shows the 3-day process of moving the US' largest hopper dredge from the building area to the drydock where it was launched. 420' long x 81' wide, 15,000 cubic yard capacity. It's a diesel-electric system, so the same generators power the propulsion drives and the dredging pumps. That works out really well to reduce the total number of prime movers, since propulsion loads are low when dredging and dredging loads are nil when moving form site to site.

https://vimeo.com/mansonconstructionco/transferhopperfrederickpaup

Cool video. I thought this was going to be a thread about how I move my 48V 100 amp-hour batteries when they arrive.
Well, you could put your batteries on one of those SPMT transporters, but it might be a bit of overkill. :D And it might be kinda hard to lift them the batteries high enough to get them on the SPMT.

That is very cool.

I have been in a floating drydock for repairs in Groton CT, and a shore based drydock in Newport VA.

It is amazing to crawl around inside the ballast tanks.

@boatgeek do you have a personal hand in any of this?

very cool video! love teh sped up little boats zooming around! loved teh suspension of the multi wheel mover, as it goes over the gangways!

@boatgeek do you have a personal hand in any of this?

very cool video! love teh sped up little boats zooming around! loved teh suspension of the multi wheel mover, as it goes over the gangways!
I didn't do much on that project, but my company did. I was on Team Keeping The Rest Of The Company Running while a most of the other people in the company were on Team Dredge.

The multi-wheel rollers have an exciting hydraulic suspension so that each axle in a group takes the same load within the range of suspension travel. Not obvious in the video is that there's a bunch of ballasting work being done on the barges to keep the barge deck edge even with the land side. Then when they transfer to the drydock, they're ballasting both the barge and drydock as the ship rolls off. That's the main thing that makes the loading/offloading process take a full day for each transfer.

Back