motor retentation for balsa tail cones

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It will take a little bit of pre-planning. Make sure which ever tail cone you plan to use, you have the casing for it. Dry fit the MMT tube into the tail cone and then insert the motor casing with the rear closure on so you can see if you have enough "meat" to use the insert screws.

Another thing, if there is not enough room, maybe you could epoxy some "all-thread" to the side of the MMT tube and let it hang out the back enough to get the retention plate over the motor and use nuts to hold it down. You will probably have to drill the inside of the tail cone to allow the screws to fit.

You might look at it and go "Oh, I can do this...." Either way, it can be done.

It will take a little bit of pre-planning. Make sure which ever tail cone you plan to use, you have the casing for it. Dry fit the MMT tube into the tail cone and then insert the motor casing with the rear closure on so you can see if you have enough "meat" to use the insert screws.

Another thing, if there is not enough room, maybe you could epoxy some "all-thread" to the side of the MMT tube and let it hang out the back enough to get the retention plate over the motor and use nuts to hold it down. You will probably have to drill the inside of the tail cone to allow the screws to fit.

You might look at it and go "Oh, I can do this...." Either way, it can be done.

Sounds like with a little planning it would work. Thanks for the tips

on the jayhawk, the instructions call for a chunk of all thread running front to back through the tailcone...I decided that none of my drill bits were long enough to drill that far in one pass. so I went with an aeropac.

Back