More Savage Bros. Drag Racing 5/6/23

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarenSavage

Reaction score
Dan and I got to test out his 3D printed nose cones this last weekend at the SCORE launches at Hudson Ranch in Colo. Dan's design worked great! In the video below, you can see the body tube and fins during ascent, and nothing but sky after separation.

I had an issue during one launch when the camera came loose during the ejection and fell to earth by itself. Luckily, I was able to find it. Yay!

Here's some pictures Dan's nose cone on my AlphaCam. Having the LED shine through the plastic is a nice touch.

Attachments

• savage nose cone01.jpg
    savage nose cone01.jpg
    965 KB · Views: 0
  • savage nose cone02.jpg
    savage nose cone02.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • savage nose cone03.jpg
    savage nose cone03.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
Thanks for editing and posting the video and pics, Daren.

The new nose cones work great. I need to make a couple of changes to the camera opening, but all in all, we're both very happy with how they turned out.

Here's a screen shot of the 3D model. Another plus is that they're 4 grams lighter than the stock nose cone.

Attachments

• AstroCamRendered.png
    AstroCamRendered.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 1
This looks fantastic. Are you planning to sell the nosecone Dan? I'd love one, and am particularly fond of the way you can see the light status through the housing. I've sent toooo many up in my short career with the camera off when I thought I had everything set. You're an artist!

Hi tooth,
Yes, I am planning to offer these for sale. I need to make a slight modification for the lower part of the camera opening so it fits the camera better.
Thanks!

Back