Modifying an Estes X-ray

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkmilion

Reaction score
I just got this crazy idea: I currently waiting for my Estes X-ray to come in the mail (two more days!). I orginally had bought it for night flights; you know take a few glow sticks a place them in the payload, but then I got to thinking, I have and old Estes Max Trax NC that just sits in my miscellanious parts box. I have no other use for it, because I don't have a rocket BT with the right diameter. So I decided to gut it and see if I could rig it up to fit in the payload. It's measurements say that it'll be bit snug but do-able. There is only I problem I ran into: If you're not familiar with the internal workings. When it was in the NC there is a little button of sorts on the NC shoulder to disconnect the circuit. Now that there is no button my plan is to drill a tiny hole into the payload (don't know exact measurement yet) and put a string between the contacts. Then run it out and secure it to the outside of the BT. That should do it when apogee come the string is pulled and timer is started. Presdo!! I'm in business! Now I can do night flights and record height. (Except for the fact that the Trax timer isn't too accurate.) Oh, well.
So I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Feel free to drop some ideas also.

That X-ray rocks, but I still need room for the Trax timer, which takes up most of the space. I like the idea alot though. When I get it I'll see how much room I have to spare and let you know.
BTW: How much are those LEDs anyway, I mean for the whole set up?

Mr. micromister (?? I'm trying to be polite and it comes out sounding redundant),
Would you be kind enough to share the details of the circuit design, and the on/off switches, and the rest of the construction?
That's a pretty cool X-ray (or any other) payload!

Pb and Mk:
I don't mind sharing at all, it's what this forum is all about LOL!

I really don't have a circuit sketch, and there is no on/off switch. because of the cramped space it was decided to fabricate a button cell battery holder of Balsa, adhesive backed copper foil tape,some tiny 24gage bell wire, a small piece of 22gage music wire bent into a battery retainer clip and a 1/4" piece of 10.5mm body tube. In the b&w photo you can see the battery holder at the bottomof the led strings. This was the hardest part of the N.I.T.E. system construction. (Night Illumination Tracking Equipment) the acornym is another very long story:D
Most of the components are from your local Radio Shack or electonic on-line store. 9 low output leds were used in the Payload bay "strings", 3 each red, yellow and green 6.5 to 15 mcd Leds for the "value Pack" assortment #276-1622 and one 12,000mcd orange that is no longer available from radio shack. 5mm Hi mcd Leds can be had a www.superbrightleds.com This 10mm large led (5mm from superbright) is epoxied into the base hole in a BT-20 white, yellow or even the stock redish nosecone. I prefer white or yellow as they give a brighter effect. Each of the 3 led strings and the 12,000 mcd orange have a 33 to 68ohm 1/2watt resistor soldered to the positive lead. leads for the Leds and the battery leads are soldered and carefully set with a very small piece of black electric tape insulator between the pos and neg lead inside a 10.5mm x 3/8" section of body tube taped to the bottom of the nose cone shoulder. Fill the tube piece with 5 minute epoxy, when set peel the cardboard tube section away and your done.
This setup runs on a CR-1025 10mm (approx 3/8" dia) 3volt lithium button cell. Pop the battery into the holder and slide the unit into the top of the payload section, masking tape the nose/payload joint and your ready to fly. That little battery will run these 10 led strings for a least 6 hours. I've been using the same battery for the last three night launches:)

Heres a page showing one of the 5mm red "superbright" leds in a pratt hobbies yellow nose cone yellow off, red illuminated.
Most any BT-50 or larger white or yellow styrene or blow molded nose cone can be internally illuminated with one or two Hi mcd Leds or a strobe powered by the larger 3/4" 20mm 3 volt lithium button cells.

Most if not all of this stuff and a lot more from other people can be found at https://groups.yahoo.com/group/night_launch/ in the files, photos and links sections. We also have a pretty long thread on this forum section "Night Launches - a fun group/club activity" or something like that. a search should being it up:)

Hope this helps.

Thank you for all the glorious info. Just one more question: Price? Rough estimate at least.
I want to mention that I will be joining the that Yahoo group, even though I'm already in MMX group. Oh well no complaints. Too many loyalties. J/K BTW still no X-ray yet
:mad:

Price...HUMM!
Well, I really never gave it much thought...I usually buy stuff like this in bulk so "My" guestimates will have to be based on list prices from good o'le radio shack.. a lot of which is no longer available.. they seem to be changing into a phone and gizmo store...very sad:(
lets see the 20 led assortment pack was 2.49, 2 5-pks of resistors .79 each, 12,000mcd orange Led @ 3.99, maybe 6" of 24gage copper phone wire .05, some scraps of body tube and a tiny bit of epxoy .25, 2" of .022" music wire "from a hobby shop: maybe .50 or a 3' piece, and the CR1025 3V lithium battery @ 2.79. I forgot about an inch of 50/50 solder .032" dia. .03. I'd say you can build this NITE system for under 12.00 bucks, even less if you can "stock" up on a few LED's from superbright:)
I found that when I started building Led systems for my model and LMR clusted D12 models, it was somewhat addictive and there is a ton of things you can do with them from MMX size to the moon..well sorta. I only use cylume sticks (light sticks) for the very smallest and lowest altitude models. others seem to feel it is sufficent, but what ever you use be sure it is visible for the entire flight. NEVER rely on an ejection/deployment for a night flying vehicle. a jambed chute or no ejection will cause the model to come in ballistic and Unseen... very dangerous in the dark! even UFO's can be illuminated. I'm working on one of Art applewhites Cone UFOS with 16 leds 4 of 4each color two row top and two rows bottom. should look pretty cool in full spin motion:) but the old estes UFO's (Snitch to you younger folks) can also be outfitted like the one in the pic

Originally posted by powderburner
The info is much appreciated

Powderburner!
What the heck are you doing??? Up to now??? did somebody tell you, you were being grumpy or something? If it helps any.. MY NAR team name was "Grumpy Old Men"..do we have something in common. LOL

:D Keep smiling..Makes people wonder what you've been up to:D:D

While I'm at it heres a look at the inside of that UFO, which may also help in Mk understand the wiring method.

I be started on it shortly. Cause I'm still working on my Estes Star Dart and repairing and Estes Prowler, Mini-Meanie, Sidewinder, and Space Hauler. Waiting for engines to come in for my CC Express.
Man too much work not enough time.

Ok I bundled up in preparation to night for my first night lauch. I didn't have enough room for the Trax timer. So like I said I was going to do is put glow sticks in it. Which I did.
Well I hate to admit it, but I lost it. Glow sticks a luminous but not enough. (Here's where Micromister I told you so comes in.) Anyways I plan on seaching for it tomorrow and if I find it LEDs here I come. If not I'm going to get a Estes Nova and LED it all up.
So I will say this I learned my lesson and am glad it was such a cheap rocket. I hope to turns out for the best.

MK:
Not at all, We've been flying glow sticks in models since our first Night launch in 96. We have found that models over B motor will be lost. I have a friend who flys his X-ray with a 2" fishing lure green glo-stick.. we keep getting it back:D
Try the Glowstickfactory.com they have a huge range of cylume illumination sticks and stuff at pretty reasonable prices.

the Nova payloader is a great NITE model, My 4D12 clustered upscale uses 43 LED's powered by 2 AAA batteries. Great flights, Lot's of smoke and fire! here's a launch pic.

What don't I have set up for night launchs? Oh about 400 models:D I only have 15 models dedicated to Night launches:)

other good NITE convertable models, Estes hercules 2stage, Warp-II 2 stages, and any of the Quest models with the red transluscent payload sections. MK you might want to check out the Nightlaunch Yahoo group. lots of info and pics of all kinds of Night launch models.

Do you have to have a FAA wavier for a night launch? I wondering cause it says on you pic that it's waviered.

I'm sorry to say YES.
our under 1lb exemption applies only to "daylight" operations. I really think you would help yourself alot if you would so a search here and or join the Night Launch Yahoo group. we've had some lenghty discussions on this very topic. If you type in Night launch most of the other threads should show up:)

I have yet another question: Since my Trax timer didn't fit do you know of an altimeter that will fit in the X-ray? Heck maybe even a pen cam.

A Pencam (at least an Aiptek one) will not come close to fitting in an X-Ray. It fits perfectly in a BT-55.

I found an altimeter that will fit. It claims to be the world's smallest altimeter. It's manufactured by Bon Novi. Dimensions 1"x.5". It's only $89! Plus shipping of couse. On the pen cam scene though I am still looking.

MK:
There is a smaller unit out there called a pico something..can't remember the name. will it easily in a bt-5 with a little effort in a 10.5 mm. very light and can be run on even lighter/smaller supercapacitors instead of batteries. I'll try to get more info. maybe someone here can help.
I seem to remember the price on the pico alt. was 65.00 or 69.00 dollars.
Hope this helps.

I checked it out. The dimensions are at 1x.4", meaning that gives me .1" of extra space. Yay!!! Thanks for the insight now on to the pen cam search.:)

Back