Modified Solar Sailer build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
This weekend, I started building a clone of the Solar Sailer II using open-truss gussets in the center of the rocket.

100_2966.jpg

The thread explaining how to build them is here.

The motor tube is an 18" length of BT-20. The center section is marked for three fins (the gussets), and a motor block installed at the lower end. Next, mark a 6.5" BT-50 for three fins and mount it on the motor end with two centering rings. The fins on the lower BT-50 are offset 60 degrees from the gussets; that is, exactly between them.

100_2967a.jpg

Now we start attaching the gussets to the BT-20, butting them up against the upper 2050 centering ring.

100_2968a.jpg

Once all three are on, we add two more 2050 rings and the upper 12.5" BT-50 tube, and it looks like this:

100_2970a.jpg

The trusses are taller than the designed solid-balsa gussets...

100_2971a.jpg

...so in our next episode, we'll add some additional pieces to blend them in.

Looking good so far. I am stuck waiting for some good weather to put the top coat on mine and then the decals. Hopefully this weather lets up soon, or it's flying primer only builds in a muddy field.

Actually, Madison, I have you to thank for this. The Sailer was one of a zillion potential future projects in the pile until I saw your build thread. That's what inspired me to take a shot at doing one myself.

Using the original gusset pattern as a template...

100_2973a.jpg

...the next step is to cut some wedges out of 1/8 square balsa and add one on each end of the trusses to blend them into the BT-50 on either end.

100_2972a.jpg

The fins are 1/16 balsa cut from the original pattern, but with 1/8 square balsa replacing the 1/8 dowel.

100_2974a.jpg

100_2976a.jpg

The fins are now attached, waiting to be filleted. They're a half inch back from the stock location because I think that looks better.

The nose coneI'm using for this project came from a box in my parents' attic, the same one where I found my old Centauri V-2. Don't remember what it went to originally.

Looking good! It's supposed to be in the 50s tomorrow, so I am hoping to get a coat of white on my Solar Sailor, but then rain Sunday and maybe snow on Monday. Shooting for being ready to launch at our club launch on the 20th.

First flight today! It flew magnificently on a B6-4. Landed in a rocket-eating tree, but we managed to recover it before it got eaten.

Video here:
[video=youtube;hf6ntb6itC8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf6ntb6itC8[/video]

Back