Mobile open rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...and this is something that someone could theoretically do at the field, after first flight.

I don't comprehend why some folks are reflexively arguing against the idea of mobile OR. It would be nice to have. Of course it is possible to live without it, and it is not *essential*, but it would be nice. And if I had my druthers it would be full functionality. Fiddling with designs is fun, I'd love to be able to do it when I'm out and about and bored, or when I'm on vacation only with an iPad but not a proper computer.

I mean, it's not gonna happen any time soon, but why wouldn't we want it if we could get it?
Any effort devoted to a mobile OR is effort taken away from other development, and I just don't see it as a useful allocation of resources. It was done once, and there wasn't enough interest to keep it going.
If you want to do this stuff at the field, just bring a laptop.

...and this is something that someone could theoretically do at the field, after first flight.

I don't comprehend why some folks are reflexively arguing against the idea of mobile OR. It would be nice to have. Of course it is possible to live without it, and it is not *essential*, but it would be nice. And if I had my druthers it would be full functionality. Fiddling with designs is fun, I'd love to be able to do it when I'm out and about and bored, or when I'm on vacation only with an iPad but not a proper computer.

I mean, it's not gonna happen any time soon, but why wouldn't we want it if we could get it?

There is a mobile version.... And there have been many suggestions on how to use it

I can say it works fine on older surface pros (both on windows 10 and Linux) as well as Chromebook.

Perhaps I'll load v13 on an old PC see if it works.

Looking again, most of the errors look to be library items that don't exist in the older version, and motors that aren't in the database. The "Download from Thrustcurve" function has never worked, and motor masses don't seem to load. CP and CG are blank, I assume related to the above missing information.

4C2DCAE5-CDF8-4B63-8CD8-1B12C9B1EA40.jpeg

AD400507-C2DA-4A7B-B326-2DA368726370.jpeg

I've loaded the v13.11 linked above onto an old XP machine. One thing I didn't consider is that when I save a configuration, I don't "save all data". So, when looking at the sim on the tablet, I just got a box with a few data points. Looking again this morning, I saved all data and the full plots of altitude & velocity now show on the tablet.

E13E67C7-317A-434E-B17E-353629B996F2.jpeg

I plan to rebuild a couple of flyers in this old version, nothing in them that should require the newer version, and see if I can get the necessary motor options into the tablet. It may take a while to get back to it, but I'll post the results when I get there.

Last edited:
Back