Mobile open rocket?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NTP2

Reaction score
I have an idea openrocket for IOS and Android. It would not have the design capabilities just sim you could use your files from your PC (maybe cloud) so you can sim a flight at the range.

This is a dream for a lot of people, including myself. However, it would be a very large effort to make it happen.
I am not an expert in programming but I know a little about it. I would think that you would just take the core sim code and make a phone friendly interface?

I am not an expert in programming but I know a little about it. I would think that you would just take the core sim code and make a phone friendly interface?
The word "just" is doing an awful lot of work there. Everything after "just" is a large effort.

There was an Android version available a few years back. It was glitchy on my phone and I was never able to use it.
The Android port has been abandoned for a while and I imagine it'll take a lot of work to get it running again.

If anyone wants to do any of this by all means go for it, but don't be fooled into thinking that it'll be quick and/or easy. If someone really wants to work on OR in some capacity then I personally would prefer that they start by jumping in to help with the mainline app, rather than getting lost in side projects like this.

The word "just" is doing an awful lot of work there. Everything after "just" is a large effort.
THIS. SO MUCH THIS. It drives me crazy when non-engineers or non-programmers or non-whatevers say, "Why don't you just..." thinking they have an easy solution to a complicated problem.

THIS. SO MUCH THIS. It drives me crazy when non-engineers or non-programmers or non-whatevers say, "Why don't you just..." thinking they have an easy solution to a complicated problem.
I am sorry, as I said I have no experience with programming large projects. 🙏

Edit I bet if I were to look at the code the UI and siming are interacting very closely.

Last edited:
As much as I would love this, I realize it would be a massive undertaking. Instead, I just plan ahead and sim whatever rockets I'm taking to the launch with all the motors (that could work for it) that I have in my box (or that I may buy on site). Then I just save the pdf file and air drop to my phone. We often wait months between launches, so lack of planning ahead is a poor excuse (we are just used to being able to to do everything at a moment's notice on our phones)

Maybe it could be easier to just read a sim file with all major results?
I mean, when you choose the print design report, and then only check the design report, that's exactly what you get. You can then save as a PDF. Gives you all the sim data for each motor you have selected. Also shows you CG and CP (though only for which ever motor was currently selected).

I mean, when you choose the print design report, and then only check the design report, that's exactly what you get. You can then save as a PDF. Gives you all the sim data for each motor you have selected. Also shows you CG and CP (though only for which ever motor was currently selected).
No for a app you have the sim file on your phone and you read it for the apogee and all the other stuff.

Personally I think it would be very difficult to do anything worthwhile on a mobile version of OR. Designing anything would just be a real pain. If you are talking about dirty siming in the field for delays thrustcurve is a great option.

Personally I think it would be very difficult to do anything worthwhile on a mobile version of OR. Designing anything would just be a real pain. If you are talking about dirty siming in the field for delays thrustcurve is a great option.
No it’s for filling out a flight form.
I just realized you said the siming thing with thrustcurve. But it needs cell service.

The most simple answer is to invest in a Windows-based tablet. The MS Surface Go 3 can be had new for as little as $399. I use mine as a nightly e-reader, as well as a browser and it has no issues running RockSim at the field. I assume Open Rocket would run just as well.

The most simple answer is to invest in a Windows-based tablet. The MS Surface Go 3 can be had new for as little as $399. I use mine as a nightly e-reader, as well as a browser and it has no issues running RockSim at the field. I assume Open Rocket would run just as well.
If I’m got openrocket then I am cheap and don’t want to spend 400$ on a tablet :)

I have made my mind if I can find documentation on the .org format then I will make a python script to read a sim file and display the results.

I have made my mind if I can find documentation on the .org format then I will make a python script to read a sim file and display the results.
If there's any documentation on the format it's out of date, but it's pretty easy to read. It's just a zip file containing a file called rocket.ork and any graphics in a subdirectory (the graphics are the reason a zip file is necessary). Unzip and take a look.
As others have said, there was an Android version at one time, which died from lack of interest. The code is still in the repository (somewhere...) and if someone wanted to revive it could be used as a starting point.

I have an ancient (by computer standards) Acer notebook I keep in the rocket shop running an old version of OR that I use for quick and dirty calculations - that way I don’t have to risk the good laptop getting dropped, stuff spilled on it, etc…there’s no reason I couldn’t take it to the field, folded shut it isn’t much bigger than an iPad and barely any heavier.

There are refurbished notebooks out there for less than $50 - could be a better solution than slogging through (re)building an app.

There are refurbished notebooks out there for less than $50 - could be a better solution than slogging through (re)building an app.
My plan is to start from scratch and make a python script that runs on a phone that pulls all the sim data from a .ork file.

Back