MLP (HB2.1) Rocket Flight to 63k ft, M3.9

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember when they were working on TMv2, Keith put up an awesome blog post discussing the flight testing they had done (here). It really surprised me how much small changes in board geometry or component layout affected the GPS performance; I can see how putting it in a tower would really mess with it.

The radio link is THE killer app for this thing... the capability to fire charges remotely is great for ground testing, no more kludging together the rocket with firing leads sticking out the avbay-- just hook it up like you're gonna fly it and push a button on your laptop. This was really helpful when I needed to ground test in the recent sub-zero winter we had!

How did the TM do at detecting apogee and firing the charges on time? What did you use for apogee charges? Did you use a cable cutter for dual deploy?

I didnt wax the mylar but was thinking that might be the fix. The tube came off easily (I put a thin layer of grease on the motor tube before the mylar went on).

Care to share what grease you used? I just tried some PTFE dry film spray but I don't think I like it's chances.
Thanks

I finally got around to trying a router to bevel fins (as Butalane posted in this thread a while back). Actually, I should say I got around to beveling someone else's fins. Always the recommended approach for trying something new.

Anyway, I just took a few scraps of wood and glued them together to form the angled piece. Then, we attached the fin with double-sided tape so that it over-hung the wood by an inch or so, and then moved the jig around to run the edge of the fin over the router bit. Very easy and relatively safe (as router stuff goes). Once we figured out how to set the fin on the jig, it didn't take much time at all. I'd say the last fin took us about 15 minutes. Beats the heck out of sanding the bevel.

The router is inside the plastic tent by the way. This time of year, you can't do anything outside in Texas.

Thanks for the great idea!

Jim

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0918.jpg

DSCF0920.jpg

DSCF0923.jpg

Jim,

The fins look great! Glad it worked out for you.

I like your dust containment setup. :)

Ryan

Back