MJG/Electricmatch starters

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I suspect a name change will only result in temporary confusion until they figure out the "scam" name.
When I had my inspection from the ATF for my manufacturers of explosives license, the agents specifically said you can call them whatever you would like, but if it function as it igniter it's an igniter. They proceeded to call out the current common names that we see online for them. They're well aware of what's going on.

They might go after a guy selling them in the US, but they certainly are not going to arrest a guy in China.

Absolutely true. I buy mine from MJG. I don't want to have anything to do with the nuances of what is or isn't legal. I know the MJG product is legal, so that makes it an easy decision for me.

Put another way, MJG's product is excellent, legal, works 100% of the time (so far) and the cost is $0.65-$0.95 per item, depending on the length of the lead wire. Personally, it is not worth if for me to save a few dollars over the course of a year to buy matches from someone on Ebay and put myself in any kind of legal risk.

Absolutely true. I buy mine from MJG. I don't want to have anything to do with the nuances of what is or isn't legal. I know the MJG product is legal, so that makes it an easy decision for me.

Put another way, MJG's product is excellent, legal, works 100% of the time (so far) and the cost is $0.65-$0.95 per item, depending on the length of the lead wire. Personally, it is not worth if for me to save a few dollars over the course of a year to buy matches from someone on Ebay and put myself in any kind of legal risk.

I use MJG exclusively as well. Putting aside the legality, I'm not going to risk an rocket/electronics with a cheap ematch. The ematch cost is pretty small percentage of any of my launches.

I use MJG exclusively as well. Putting aside the legality, I'm not going to risk an rocket/electronics with a cheap ematch. The ematch cost is pretty small percentage of any of my launches.
Same here. I still have some orange ones, but they are not used for deployment after I had a few fail to light outside of a rocket.

Is the failure higher for the Chinese vs. MJG? I do not know. I have yet to have an MJG fail.

They Firewire is not hot enough for composites alone. The Firewire will light a composite motor with the addition of am additional dip, Pyrodex, or a Blue Thunder sliver.

I don't keep Pyrodex around, but would a few granules of a slow-burning smokeless like H4831 or something like that work about the same?

They have a patent that ATF recognizes is not regulated and they agreed to only produce them in blue and white so there was no confusion. The color is only pertinent in the fact that MJG has an agreement with ATF to differentiate their product and the name is only relevant because, as per their agreement with the ATF, it is not an "igniter". Doesn't seem confusing to me...
There are no MJG patents listed in the patent office, neither awarded nor pending.

Back