MJG e match question

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjenkins133

Reaction score
2-3 years ago I bought a MJG ematch kit and dipped all of the ematches per the provided instructions. i think there were 80 or so ematches in the kit.

I have used about 20 of the ematches without any problems, but I have now noticed a problem with the unused ematches - the coating has started to flake off of the remaining unused ematches. The majority of these have been sitting in a plastic bag in my basement for the last 2 years. They have not been jostled or transported or even moved.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

My basement is dry so it isn't humidity.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Randy

Randy,

This is a common problem with handmade e-matches. I would toss them. In the future, add a layer of clear fingernail polish. To be honest, it is not worth your time to make them. I would just buy the blue and white ones.

Randy,

This is a common problem with handmade e-matches. I would toss them. In the future, add a layer of clear fingernail polish. To be honest, it is not worth your time to make them. I would just buy the blue and white ones.

Absolute +1 to this. Per MJG pricing, the two products (kit vs firewire) are virtually identical in cost. I can't really see a reason to dip your own when the firewire product has a reputation for working 100% of the time.

All --

The mailman delivered my first order of a box of 80, 3-foot MJG Firewire Initiaters today ( :) can I still say mailman ? :) )

The Initiaters look very nice with the blue-n-white wires and appear to be very well made.

I'll be doing Blue Raven Ground Tests ( Drogue and Main ) with a pair this weekend and I'll report the results here.

-- kjh

Thanks for the feedback

- I don't recall if the firewire version was available at the time I bought the kit. If the price were the same I certainly would have opted for the finished product in place of the kit. Maybe they were out of stock at the time?? IDK.

I just ordered 80 firewire initiators. I won't be using the flaky, hand-dipped parts for deployment.

Back